Endorser

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
snookums157

Endorser

Postby snookums157 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:12 pm

What are the requirements for an Endorser? I need one for the Grad Plus Loan and my sister who is 18 but does not have a job with good credit will do it. will she be ok or should I not bother and look for someone else

rinkrat19

Re: Endorser

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:16 pm

What is considered to be an adverse credit history?
You are considered to have an adverse credit history if you are 90 or more
days delinquent on any debt or if, within 5 years of the date of the credit
report, you have been the subject of a default determination, bankruptcy
discharge, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment, or writeoff
of a Federal Student Aid debt (for example, a Direct Loan or Federal
Stafford Loan).

What are my options if I have an adverse credit history?
You may still receive a Direct PLUS Loan if you obtain an endorser who
does not have an adverse credit history. An endorser is someone who
agrees to repay the loan if you do not repay it.

An endorser is someone who will pass the credit check and who agrees, similar to a co-signer, to repay the PLUS Loan if the student borrower is unable to do so. Almost anyone can serve as an endorser.

If you choose to obtain an endorser, the endorser should complete the endorser addendum at studentloans.gov. The endorser will need the Loan Reference Number (if a Direct PLUS Loan Request was completed) or Loan Identification Number to connect the endorsement to the denied Grad PLUS Loan. Completing the endorsement online also requires a Federal Student Aid personal identification number (FSA PIN).
If the borrower completed the Direct PLUS Loan Request at studentloans.gov, the Loan Reference Number is found in the confirmation email received in the denial notice or by logging into studentloans.gov and selecting "Direct PLUS Loan Requests."
More often, the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan was initiated by accepting the loan as part of a financial aid offer. In this case, the Loan/Award Identification Number will be needed and can be obtained by contacting One Stop (513-556-1000) or Student Financial Aid.
If the endorser does not already have an FSA PIN, they may obtain one at http://www.pin.ed.gov.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 pm

snookums157 wrote:What are the requirements for an Endorser? I need one for the Grad Plus Loan and my sister who is 18 but does not have a job with good credit will do it. will she be ok or should I not bother and look for someone else

1) No, your sister will not be ok, most likely.

2) You do realize what an endorser is, right? It means you're putting someone else on the hook for your grad plus loans if you can't repay them. I would consider this decision pretty seriously, and make sure the endorser does too if you care about them at all.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:23 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
snookums157 wrote:What are the requirements for an Endorser? I need one for the Grad Plus Loan and my sister who is 18 but does not have a job with good credit will do it. will she be ok or should I not bother and look for someone else

1) No, your sister will not be ok, most likely.

2) You do realize what an endorser is, right? It means you're putting someone else on the hook for your grad plus loans if you can't repay them. I would consider this decision pretty seriously, and make sure the endorser does too if you care about them at all.

agreed on both counts.

akg144

Postby akg144 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:03 am

Don't put your sister in that situation bro, if you have health issues down the line and can't work or pay off the debt your basically putting all the pressure on your sister to repay the loans she's 18 she doesn't need that in her life. Even the chance is remote that's not cool. Find a generous/wealthy aunt or uncle or grandparent or cousin who will sign for you, 18 year sister, probably not the best idea.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:22 am

She is co-signing your loan. I don't even know if she will qualify.

Do not put her in this position. Law is too much of a gamble to burden your young sister with it.

Return to “Financial Aid”