Grad PLUS loans Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
UMich11

Bronze

Grad PLUS loans

Post by UMich11 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:21 am

Will having a closed tax lien be an issue on my Grad Plus application? It's a long story but i retained residency in my home state after college and i didn't realize i had 3 months to pay the taxes when due. When i told the treasury of the payment plan i selected they placed a lien b/c i selected a 5 month process, not 3. I ended up paying it off in 3, but once it was submitted to public records the state couldn't do anything. i'm fighting with the Credit agencies to have them remove the record, but i'm just curious.

Also, what if my grad plus loans are denied. how else could i bridge the gap for LS? I have overall good credit with 100% on time payments.

moshei24

Bronze

Re: Grad PLUS loans

Post by moshei24 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 am

Check out Discover Law loans.

arkgawilson

Bronze

Re: Grad PLUS loans

Post by arkgawilson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:52 am

UMich11 wrote:Will having a closed tax lien be an issue on my Grad Plus application? It's a long story but i retained residency in my home state after college and i didn't realize i had 3 months to pay the taxes when due. When i told the treasury of the payment plan i selected they placed a lien b/c i selected a 5 month process, not 3. I ended up paying it off in 3, but once it was submitted to public records the state couldn't do anything. i'm fighting with the Credit agencies to have them remove the record, but i'm just curious.

Also, what if my grad plus loans are denied. how else could i bridge the gap for LS? I have overall good credit with 100% on time payments.
Being as though I have a million dollars out in grad plus right now (well, not quite a million, but a lot from my professional program in clinical psychology) I can tell you that you only get denied from grad plus if you have an account that is considered in default. However, I've known many friends who were able to call in once their loans were denied stating what had happened and given them proof of how they were making payments, etc., and the grad plus loans were re-evaluated in their favor.

I've also found personally that getting something removed from your credit report is hit or miss. I recently had something removed, was thankful, and then it was reported back again. AGHHHH! I digress. Hope it works out well for you. You might look to see if there are any reputable banks that do private loans.

Return to “Financial Aid”