LSAC Fee Waiver Help

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nerdiecherry

LSAC Fee Waiver Help

Postby nerdiecherry » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could let me know if I would be qualified for the LSAC Fee Waiver. On my income returns, it is stated that I earned about $20,000, though most of that is composed of the $13,000 scholarship I get from school. In reality I only earned about $7,000. I also have about $6,000 in savings, though I plan to use at least half of that money on a legal issue my mom needs to resolve. I have claimed myself independent as my brother is dependent. Would I qualify?

IvyLeagueRedneck

Re: LSAC Fee Waiver Help

Postby IvyLeagueRedneck » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:36 pm

nerdiecherry wrote:Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could let me know if I would be qualified for the LSAC Fee Waiver. On my income returns, it is stated that I earned about $20,000, though most of that is composed of the $13,000 scholarship I get from school. In reality I only earned about $7,000. I also have about $6,000 in savings, though I plan to use at least half of that money on a legal issue my mom needs to resolve. I have claimed myself independent as my brother is dependent. Would I qualify?

I'm no expert but I would think you would have a pretty good shot. In any case, the application is fairly easy and they give an answer pretty quickly.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Also something that is important is your cash on hand, or the amount of money you have in your bank accounts. I made the mistake of applying for the fee waiver right after our semester aid came in. I thought that LSAC wouldn't count it because it was strictly for tuition, books, etc.. I was denied. I even appealed it and was still denied on the same grounds. If you want more details PM me.
Last edited by Toby Ziegler on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:14 pm

nerdiecherry wrote:Hi everyone,

If you file as independent, but are under 25, they give you a hard time...at least they did me. I had to submit termination of parental rights and guardianship papers from 10+ years ago showing that my parents income didn't really matter as they did not raise me, even though I had been filing as independent since I was 18. I finally got it, though, so good luck.

nerdiecherry

Postby nerdiecherry » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Thank you all very much for replying. I am 21 years old and have claimed independent since 2 years ago. My brother is my dependent. Will I still have trouble? What would you all think is the cut off point for both income and savings/checkings account?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:25 am

$6,000 in savings? Highly doubtful you'd qualify without appeal. There's a ton of threads where people have been denied for having 1k in the bank. (Although some have appealed and gotten the waiver).

nerdiecherry wrote:Thank you all very much for replying. I am 21 years old and have claimed independent since 2 years ago. My brother is my dependent. Will I still have trouble? What would you all think is the cut off point for both income and savings/checkings account?

Also, verify that LSAC does in fact consider you independent. See Section B of: http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/usfeewaiverinstructions.pdf

LSAC quote:
If you answer “no” to all Items 16 through 20, you are considered by LSAC to be a financial dependent of your parents even though you may have been granted “independent” status by another institution.

nerdiecherry

Postby nerdiecherry » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Part of the 6,000 is a school stipend and some of it, like I said is for some costs that I will incur this summer. I am considered independent as I do have a dependent. Does LSAC make you submit a copy of bank statements? So, hypothetically, can one put an amount less than the one in a savings account, considering that it will be less because of costs incurred in the future?

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Just apply and see what happens. I applied multiple times over a two year period and I was approved when I made more money! I am sure there is a rhyme and reason but none that I could understand in my case. They approved me back when I was graduated, 23 years old and earning ~$32,000 a year at a full time job. That's after denying me when I was a student and earning ~$12,000 a year.

Return to “Financial Aid”