Question about "FInancial Information" Section

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Real Madrid

Question about "FInancial Information" Section

Postby Real Madrid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:32 pm

So, I'm a bit confused about the financial information section on FAFSA. FAFSA classified me as an "independent," but I am listed as a "dependent" on one of my parent's tax returns. Furthermore, I did not receive any income in 2012, and therefore am not filing a tax return. However, the parent that listed me as a dependent filed a "joint" tax return for us in the sense that I am listed as a dependent with my assets there on that return.

So, should I be choosing "Not going to file" a tax return on my "financial information" section?

Thanks anyone for the help!

Re: Question about "FInancial Information" Section

Postby kay2016 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Not sure about your exact question.. But your considered "independent" on the FAFSA even if your parent(s) claimed you..

Just like more than likely for undergrad you were considered a "dependent" even if you filed independently.

Hopefully someone can answer the rest of your questions!

Re: Question about "FInancial Information" Section

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:45 pm

I would imagine if you're not making any income, you should put down "not filing a tax return"

Although, honestly, if you're planning on law school, you need to start working before it so you can shore up some funds to offset your future debt.

Return to “Financial Aid”