Where to get full ride + living expenses

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JJ123

Where to get full ride + living expenses

Postby JJ123 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 am

Background: I have a 3.9 GPA in accounting and finance. Just took June LSAT, practice tests averaging 172. I would like to focus on tax law, but this is not a deal breaker.

I have no interest in big law, so my biggest concern is staying completely out of debt. I would also like to get a scholarship for living expenses if at all possible. Is there anywhere that I can find out which schools offer tuition + expenses scholarships, and possibly what kind of GPA/LSAT combination I would need to qualify?

nickb285

Re: Where to get full ride + living expenses

Postby nickb285 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ and http://www.mylsn.info

Since they're self-reported, it's not perfect data, but you can look around at schools you're interested in and play with potential outcomes to see what you might be looking at.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:36 pm

nickb285 wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ and http://www.mylsn.info

Since they're self-reported, it's not perfect data, but you can look around at schools you're interested in and play with potential outcomes to see what you might be looking at.

That looks like a great place to start. Thank you.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Do you have work experience? If you do and you end up with a 170+ on the LSAT you should get a full ride from Northwestern with that GPA. Actually, a 170+ would give you a pretty good shot at a full scholarship from most of the lower T14. Not sure about living expenses though. The Rubenstein at Chicago covers that but its going away after this year

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 am

bearsfan23 wrote:Do you have work experience? If you do and you end up with a 170+ on the LSAT you should get a full ride from Northwestern with that GPA. Actually, a 170+ would give you a pretty good shot at a full scholarship from most of the lower T14. Not sure about living expenses though. The Rubenstein at Chicago covers that but its going away after this year

I worked on a startup for a couple of years between getting a 2 year and going back for a 4 year. I also worked around 30 hours a week at a college job to keep the lights on (delivering pizzas). Other than that, just a corporate accounting internship.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:30 am

JJ123 wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:Do you have work experience? If you do and you end up with a 170+ on the LSAT you should get a full ride from Northwestern with that GPA. Actually, a 170+ would give you a pretty good shot at a full scholarship from most of the lower T14. Not sure about living expenses though. The Rubenstein at Chicago covers that but its going away after this year

I worked on a startup for a couple of years between getting a 2 year and going back for a 4 year. I also worked around 30 hours a week at a college job to keep the lights on (delivering pizzas). Other than that, just a corporate accounting internship.

So no work experience (at least the kind that counts for NU). You never know, NU might still give the fully if they are hard up. Go for it. And if you have to pay 60K or whatever for living expenses I think that's worth it even if you think you don't want big law.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:45 am

In a similar boat as OP. Don't have the LSAT score yet, but shooting for 170s in Oct. If I don't get it, not going to apply for school, atleast this year. Unlike OP, I have a few years of WE and a professional license. Also, not necessarily looking for living stipend. Would be happy just with full tuition at the T14. Preferably somewhere that would feed in North East employement. Good luck OP! Would be interested in hearing where you end up appying assuming you kill the June LSAT!

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 am

JJ123 wrote:Background: I have a 3.9 GPA in accounting and finance. Just took June LSAT, practice tests averaging 172. I would like to focus on tax law, but this is not a deal breaker.

I have no interest in big law, so my biggest concern is staying completely out of debt. I would also like to get a scholarship for living expenses if at all possible. Is there anywhere that I can find out which schools offer tuition + expenses scholarships, and possibly what kind of GPA/LSAT combination I would need to qualify?

These might help...

http://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/apply/jd/application/

Applicants who are confident that Boston University (BU Law) is their first choice may choose to apply through our Binding Early Decision Program. Applicants who are granted admission to the Binding Early Decision Program will be named Distinguished Scholars and will be granted a three-year, full tuition scholarship.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html if it continues for fall of 2014...

Applicants who are admitted in December 2012 to the three-year JD program through binding early decision and who matriculate in Fall 2013 will receive a $50,000 merit scholarship per year for three years.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=144338

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Archangel wrote:
JJ123 wrote:Background: I have a 3.9 GPA in accounting and finance. Just took June LSAT, practice tests averaging 172. I would like to focus on tax law, but this is not a deal breaker.

These might help...

http://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/apply/jd/application/

Applicants who are confident that Boston University (BU Law) is their first choice may choose to apply through our Binding Early Decision Program. Applicants who are granted admission to the Binding Early Decision Program will be named Distinguished Scholars and will be granted a three-year, full tuition scholarship.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html if it continues for fall of 2014...

Applicants who are admitted in December 2012 to the three-year JD program through binding early decision and who matriculate in Fall 2013 will receive a $50,000 merit scholarship per year for three years.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=144338

Does North Western provide full rides only in instances of ED applications, or do they have scholarships later in the cycle too? I don't want to apply ED.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:20 pm

paglababa wrote:Does North Western provide full rides only in instances of ED applications, or do they have scholarships later in the cycle too? I don't want to apply ED.

They offer full rides later in the cycle as well. 28 applicants on LSN reported 150K offers this cycle. I only see 4 of them resulting from ED.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Northwestern's 150k can come late in the cycle RD. I did the math and I think that will result in about 80k debt (I'd doesn't quit fully cover tuition) if you don't do a biglaw SA, though I think it'd be possible to get by on less if you live further out and live cheaply. I don't think their are any places that will give out stipends large enough to cover living expenses - Rubenstein was the best, but that's gone. However, Michigan's top Darrow scholarships can come with stipends, UT can sometimes give out stipends. Ohio State's Moritz scholarship comes with a stipend. There are probably other state schools that have something like that too, but if you wanted to come out with no debt, you'd probably have to save up for a few years to be able to cover living expenses.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Lavitz wrote:
paglababa wrote:Does North Western provide full rides only in instances of ED applications, or do they have scholarships later in the cycle too? I don't want to apply ED.

They offer full rides later in the cycle as well. 28 applicants on LSN reported 150K offers this cycle. I only see 4 of them resulting from ED.

There is also the Wigmore scholarship which is a full ride.

M458

Postby M458 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Icculus wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

They still offer that? I thought max award these days was 150k.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 pm

M458 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

They still offer that? I thought max award these days was 150k.

I may have mispoken. I have a friend on a wigmore, but that was the year before they started the 150K scholarships. I think you're right.

Return to “Financial Aid”