HELP!! I'M HAVING A MELTDOWN!

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
L-a-w

HELP!! I'M HAVING A MELTDOWN!

Postby L-a-w » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:32 pm

so I got off the waitlist at my number 1 school on Monday and I asked them to consider me for a scholarship. This morning, I received an email granting me 20k/year scholarship.

I definitely wasn't expecting anything so I withdrew my apps from the other schools and was planning on sending in my seat deposit right now.

While online, I got an email from the school again. not saying there was a mistake or anything but the same generic merit scholarship email saying that i had been awarded 10k/year!

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?! i withdrew my apps only because the scholarship amount was awesome. If it was 10k/year, I would've attended my number 2 choice with almost free ride!!

HELP!!!!

justcallmeit

Re: HELP!! I'M HAVING A MELTDOWN!

Postby justcallmeit » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:38 pm

L-a-w wrote:so I got off the waitlist at my number 1 school on Monday and I asked them to consider me for a scholarship. This morning, I received an email granting me 20k/year scholarship.

I definitely wasn't expecting anything so I withdrew my apps from the other schools and was planning on sending in my seat deposit right now.

While online, I got an email from the school again. not saying there was a mistake or anything but the same generic merit scholarship email saying that i had been awarded 10k/year!

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO?! i withdrew my apps only because the scholarship amount was awesome. If it was 10k/year, I would've attended my number 2 choice with almost free ride!!

HELP!!!!

Something similar happened to me. I would just take a deep breath and e-mail the admissions people that you first received 20K and then subsequently got a 10K email and ask them to clarify. I feel like they'd have a hard time wiggling out of their written offer of 20K. I'd definitely be polite about it (at least initially) and then, if they offer you the 10K, bring up the fact that, based on that information, you withdrew other apps. See what that gets you.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:52 pm

That's pretty terrible. How long was the gap between the 20k offer and the correction? I agree you should politely make some noise about it and get your 20k back.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:08 am

That actually sounds like a possible claim for promissory estoppel. They offered 20k, and you withdrew applications based on that offer.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:32 am

JJ123 wrote:That actually sounds like a possible claim for promissory estoppel. They offered 20k, and you withdrew applications based on that offer.

come back after 1L contracts and tell me if you think that still makes sense

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:47 am

lisjjen wrote:
JJ123 wrote:That actually sounds like a possible claim for promissory estoppel. They offered 20k, and you withdrew applications based on that offer.

Let's see, law school made a promise, poster relied on promise to their detriment. Yep, that's a textbook example. Maybe you can read wikipedia since you're confused: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoppel#P ... y_estoppel.

Nice try, though. Also, in the future, it's helpful to other readers if you actually note a specific disagreement that you have with another poster. Perhaps you could disagree about how the facts of a certain situation would apply, or note a case that has bearing. It's called making an argument. Did you learn how to do that in law school?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:59 am

JJ123 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Let's see, law school made a promise, poster relied on promise to their detriment. Yep, that's a textbook example. Maybe you can read wikipedia since you're confused: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoppel#P ... y_estoppel.

Nice try, though. Also, in the future, it's helpful to other readers if you actually note a specific disagreement that you have with another poster. Perhaps you could disagree about how the facts of a certain situation would apply, or note a case that has bearing. It's called making an argument. Did you learn how to do that in law school?

A killer LSAT and the ability to read Wikipedia doesn't tell you how judges feel about various legal doctrines. Even if the facts were solidly on his side, judges hate promissory estoppel and want to get rid of it as soon as possible. But you're forgetting a few things on the merits. Most importantly, they never promised him $20k to drop out of the other programs. They put an offer on the table. Then they changed it before he accepted or rejected it.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:04 am

lisjjen wrote:
JJ123 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

A killer LSAT and the ability to read Wikipedia doesn't tell you how judges feel about various legal doctrines. Even if the facts were solidly on his side, judges hate promissory estoppel and want to get rid of it as soon as possible. But you're forgetting a few things on the merits. Most importantly, they never promised him $20k to drop out of the other programs. They put an offer on the table. Then they changed it before he accepted or rejected it.

Well, thank you. That post does a lot more to clarify the point at issue, and also brings in your possible experience with how cases are actually handled. Much better than your first post.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:07 am

lisjjen wrote:

Let me refer you to section 90 of the restatement. Perhaps you can stop attempting to correct someone invoking an exception by asserting the default rule.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09 am

JJ123 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

OP: Just email the school about the two e-mails. If they say they're only giving you 10k, then explain to them that you withdrew all your apps based on the fact that you were awarded 20k initially. This should be the end of it. If it's not, e-mail the school you withdrew from and explain the situation and ask to be let back in.

Someone definitely made a mistake on their end, so you shouldn't have to pay (no pun intended) for it.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:16 am

Did you email them back accepting the 20,000 offer?

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:19 am

NYstate wrote:Did you email them back accepting the 20,000 offer?

i'm not a lawyer but this seems like the TCR. Just act like the second e-mail never happened. Make them bring it up.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:21 am

L-a-w wrote:so I got off the waitlist at my number 1 school on Monday and I asked them to consider me for a scholarship. This morning, I received an email granting me 20k/year scholarship.

HELP!!!!

Be a man and call them...it's simple, and you won't have to wait for an email reply

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:25 am

Do it all fast bro, so you can still call your second choice and hopefully get your money there before they give it to someone else.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:34 am

feralinfant wrote:Just act like the second e-mail never happened. Make them bring it up.

This is bad advice.
Shoot them an email, attaching both of the offers, and ask if the $10k is in addition to the $20k.
Make sure you get clarification in writing.

And do it yesterday. You want this shit wrapped up with enough time to go back to your second choice, if you have to.
Also, pay your deposit as soon as you have an answer

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:41 am

guano wrote:
feralinfant wrote:Just act like the second e-mail never happened. Make them bring it up.

This is bad advice.
Shoot them an email, attaching both of the offers, and ask if the $10k is in addition to the $20k.
Make sure you get clarification in writing.

And do it yesterday. You want this shit wrapped up with enough time to go back to your second choice, if you have to.
Also, pay your deposit as soon as you have an answer

Put a phone on the side of your face and talk to a human beings. Emails hang around all day and then once they ARE answered, it takes a couple of days of back and forth to hammer everything out. Phone calls are much more effective where there is such a crucial issue with such a short timespan.

L-a-w

Postby L-a-w » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:46 pm

OP here

Got it all sorted out, they admitted it was a mistake on their part. Worst 12 hours of my life.

phew

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:33 pm

L-a-w wrote:OP here

Got it all sorted out, they admitted it was a mistake on their part. Worst 12 hours of my life.

phew

congrats

in the meantime, we all learned something about the ingenious ambiguities of promissory estoppel

oh TLS

Return to “Financial Aid”