Income Contingent Repayment and Undergrad Loans

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Rory19

Income Contingent Repayment and Undergrad Loans

Postby Rory19 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:43 pm

My undergraduate loans are currently in income-contingent repayment at $0 a month. Should I even bother applying for deferment when school starts in the fall? Anyone want to hash out the pros and cons of ICR vs. Deferment while in law school?

redecember

Re: Income Contingent Repayment and Undergrad Loans

Postby redecember » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:04 am

Bump.

Curious as well.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 am

redecember wrote:Bump.

Curious as well.

I talked to my servicer about this as I was at a non profit and was going to try to do public service loan forgiveness because I owe about a million dollars to my doc program...well, not a million, but a lot. Anyways, what my servicer told me is that the law school will report you as in school status about every 2 months (or month) depending on when the school reports, and this would send your loans (regardless of whether they are in repayment at 0/month) back into school status, and will actually mess up any consecutive payments (like if you are trying to get 120 in a row). So basically I was told to enjoy in school status....

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:23 am

Keep in mind that for PSLF, your payments don't need to be consecutive - you just need to make 120 of them. So in school status doesn't start you over again or anything (for pre-LS loans). Granted, no, you won't get that sweet $0/mo. income-based payment, which is a shame.

Return to “Financial Aid”