Aid Negotiation

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
LizzyJ

Aid Negotiation

Postby LizzyJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 pm

The main question I have is this: Does anyone ever have any luck with a second round of financial aid negotiation?

I'm a 3.0/164 looking at offers from two schools, one DC area school in the top 40 and one NYC area school in the top 70. The top 70 school, interestingly enough, has slightly better employment placement numbers according to LST. After one round of negotiation with each, I have half tuition scholarships at both, making the DC school about $4,500 less expensive than the NYC, not counting cost of living, of course. The numbers I have estimate that at a good $2-3K less expensive for the NYC school (strange, but that's what it said) which, if true, closes the cost difference considerably. The DC school requires me to stay in the top third to keep the money, and the NYC only requires me to be top 75%.

I want to go back for a second round of negotiation with the NYC school, but if that's more likely than not to get a door slammed in my face, I'd like to be forewarned. o.o

kay2016

Re: Aid Negotiation

Postby kay2016 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Have you taken your NYC offer to the DC school?

If DC boosts their offer you can take that back to NYC.

It happens, worst anyone can say is no!

LizzyJ

Postby LizzyJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Yes. I took my initial DC offer to the NYC school. They gave me their half tuition offer, which I took to the DC school who then gave me their offer. My next step here would be to take DC's offer to NYC and see what they can do. I just wonder if it's at all worth the trouble.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 pm

If its saving you loans (and therefore interest) it's worth it! Not much to lose, just be respectful and you should be fine

LizzyJ

Postby LizzyJ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Good point. Thanks, Kayleigh. =)

cnjorda

Postby cnjorda » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 pm

I was initially offfered $10k at an NYC school, negotiated to $18k, and then negotiated further to $20k. It's so worth it to ask. I had some good rapport with the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid; I spoke with him on the phone a few times. He spoke to the Scholarship Committee on my behalf (twice). I used a higher offer from a lower-ranked school as a bargaining tool--as well as a good attitude and always mentioned the school was my top choice.

Return to “Financial Aid”