University of Pittsburgh Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lifeprincess13

New

University of Pittsburgh

Post by lifeprincess13 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:56 pm

So, I really would like to go to University of Pittsburgh, but I have not received any money from them at all. While I have received $10k from University of Baltimore, Catholic University, Drexel, and a couple more and $15k from New England School of Law. I honestly would be SO happy if Pitt Law would just give me $10k but they told me they ran out of funds. What can I do to get that $10k from them?

Thanks guys!

thereelfeels

New

Re: University of Pittsburgh

Post by thereelfeels » Tue May 28, 2013 8:44 pm

If you have tried to ask for more aid while using your scholarship amounts for other schools as leverage, and Pitt still responded that they won't award you aid, you might be out of luck - at least until the second deposit deadline passes.

Pitt also has somewhat of a reputation for being stingy with aid, except for the $10k award for students with a 161/3.5. Are you a PA resident?

che3055

New

Post by che3055 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:30 pm

thereelfeels wrote:If you have tried to ask for more aid while using your scholarship amounts for other schools as leverage, and Pitt still responded that they won't award you aid, you might be out of luck - at least until the second deposit deadline passes.

Pitt also has somewhat of a reputation for being stingy with aid, except for the $10k award for students with a 161/3.5. Are you a PA resident?
Just for reference, I am resident who is significantly above 161 (think high 160's) and significantly above 3.5 (3.9ish), and I got offered only that 10k/year.

Lady McDuff

New

Post by Lady McDuff » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 pm

che3055 wrote:
thereelfeels wrote:If you have tried to ask for more aid while using your scholarship amounts for other schools as leverage, and Pitt still responded that they won't award you aid, you might be out of luck - at least until the second deposit deadline passes.

Just for reference, I am resident who is significantly above 161 (think high 160's) and significantly above 3.5 (3.9ish), and I got offered only that 10k/year.
I tried leveraging scholarships from other schools last year and it didn't work. Wasn't quite in the high 160s but close enough that I probably deserved more than 10K. Kind of makes you wonder what they do with all the money they get from tuition. Pitt would be wise to take you considering the drop in USNWR ranking because higher LSAT median generally correlates to higher ranking. They'll give you 100 reasons refuting this but when all is said and done the numbers don't lie (it's no coincidence that a drop in ranking was accompanied by a drop in LSAT median). I bet if they're on the brink of 158/159 or 159/160 they'd offer you more $$ if it meant reporting an extra LSAT point. Of course they wouldn't know until the end of the application cycle so it would be a gamble for you to hold on and let go of $$ from other schools. Maybe you can fashion an argument and see if it works. Wish I woulda. Sounds like you have some good cards to play and some decent options though so best of luck with your decision.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 pm

che3055 wrote:

Then why would you bother applying to Pitt instead of Penn?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

che3055

New

Post by che3055 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:39 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
che3055 wrote:

Oh, I did. Unfortunately, when I applied I hadn't really realized how stingy Pitt was. I was far from a lock at Penn and was hoping to secure some free options as backup plans.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 pm

che3055 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:
che3055 wrote:

Oh, I did. Unfortunately, when I applied I hadn't really realized how stingy Pitt was. I was far from a lock at Penn and was hoping to secure some free options as backup plans.
Ah gotcha. Pitt is insanely stingy... then again, they probably knew they had no chance at getting you to attend anyway. Dat YP / stinginess combo.

che3055

New

Post by che3055 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:03 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Ah gotcha. Pitt is insanely stingy... then again, they probably knew they had no chance at getting you to attend anyway. Dat YP / stinginess combo.
I don't really see the YP involved...if they had waitlisted or denied me maybe, but I got in, so they really weren't even protecting their yield. It's sad, but I just think they want people who will be paying full price. Not to sound cocky, but it's tough to imagine a more ideal candidate for them (GPA/LSAT both far above 75ths, PA resident), and yet they don't really seem all that interested.

Kinda shows that they're more into cash than they are rankings, and that if they are in to rankings, it's only insofar as they help generate cash.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”