Double Deposit Negotiating

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Lido997

Double Deposit Negotiating

Postby Lido997 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Call is all done, thanks for the help guys
Last edited by Lido997 on Wed May 22, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickb285

Re: Double Deposit Negotiating

Postby nickb285 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:20 pm

As long as you're not a dick about it, that's fine--you don't have to pretend like money isn't important, and they know that it's a factor in decision making. Just say something along the lines of "While I would love to attend the University of Michigan, I have received a very generous scholarship offer from UT, and given the state of the economy and the job market, minimizing debt is extremely important to me; if the cost of attendance at Michigan were equal to that of Texas, I would withdraw from Texas immediately." Basically you want them to know that a) They are your first choice, and all things being equal, you would attend there; however, b) all things are not equal due to the money, and the money is a big factor, but one that they have the power to change.

syd625

Postby syd625 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:28 pm

I was in a similar situation with different schools and was upfront about things, ie " I love [blank] and really want to attend but due to my financial circumstances, aid has to play a role in my decision-making process." Both schools ended up offering more money in my case. Just be polite and the worst that can happen is they say that they've run out of funds. In my opinion judging from the email, they're basically giving you an opening.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Fri May 24, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm in a similar boat. One school tripled my initial offer and the other increased it a little and has now flat out said that my offer is the highest they've given out (about a 1/3 of tuition). School that tripled the offer has been insanely nice and have acknowledged my double deposits - I get weekly emails seeing if I have any questions, offering to put me in touch with professors, etc. I don't know what to do.

Return to “Financial Aid”