Would you be a surrogate to help pay off loans? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Surrogacy to pay off loans?

Sure
54%
No Way
44%
What's a surrogate?
2%

Total votes: 48

suzige

Bronze

Would you be a surrogate to help pay off loans?

Post by suzige » Fri May 17, 2013 12:02 pm

So I was watching a show the other day where a woman was considering being a surrogate in order to make some extra money to help pay off her and her husbands' debt from student loans and what not. She estimated that she could get about $30,000 to carry someone else's baby to term (not sure how accurate that really is, and I'm doubtful the payout is that high). That got me thinking about the crushing law school debt many take on nowadays and the other recent thread about how law grads pay off sticker. I know a few recent grads who haven't found employment yet and who went to a TTTT school on sticker. I can't even imagine what their life will be like in a few years if they don't find a decent paying job or hit the lottery.

If you are one of the many that cannot find well-paying legal employment once the loan payments come due, would you consider being a surrogate?

This is somewhat geared towards the lady lawyers in the making, but I'd be interested in hearing from guys too since its possible that your future significant others/girlfriends/wives may have considerable student loan debt alongside your own. Would you be ok with it?

Just to note: I'm not considering doing this at all. I don't know anyone actually considering this. I don't know the intricacies of the surrogacy process (but please inform us if you do). I'm just curious to hear your thoughts (and a bit bored at work). Are the indebted lawyers of America that desperate yet? :|

Also, if you know of any other extreme measures people have taken or considered taking to help pay off their debt, please do share :wink:

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Re: Would you be a surrogate to help pay off loans?

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Fri May 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Chriz

Bronze

Post by Chriz » Fri May 17, 2013 12:18 pm

The government should create new payment plans so that people don't have to do things like this.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Fri May 17, 2013 12:54 pm

A couple pple so far voted "Sure." Honestly, I'm not 100% against it.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm

$30,000 is actually really, really cheap. Move to New York, become a vegan, do pilates, and then find an upscale agency. If you're nice, attractive (even if you're not an egg donor, this will help people feel at ease) and healthy, you should easily be able to command six figures per pregnancy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm

30K isn't that much...how desperate would you have to be to do something like this for such a small amount of money?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Fri May 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Welcome to TLS

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Chriz wrote:The government should create new payment plans so that people don't have to do things like this.
Why is this the government's responsibility?

BTW the "government" is just a collection of people we elect to make decisions for us.

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Fri May 17, 2013 3:16 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:I know a T14 student whose donated her eggs a number of times to help pay her COL...
Wow, Do you know how it worked out for her? I remember one person in an undergrad class of mine telling me about how she was in the process of donating an egg. I remember her saying that she was on some fertility drugs that made her super hyper able to get preggers and so she had to be extra careful with her bf.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Fri May 17, 2013 3:18 pm

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) wrote:$30,000 is actually really, really cheap. Move to New York, become a vegan, do pilates, and then find an upscale agency. If you're nice, attractive (even if you're not an egg donor, this will help people feel at ease) and healthy, you should easily be able to command six figures per pregnancy.
That would be pretty awesome if it worked out well.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Fri May 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Welcome to TLS

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Fri May 17, 2013 4:16 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
suzige wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:I know a T14 student whose donated her eggs a number of times to help pay her COL...
Wow, Do you know how it worked out for her? I remember one person in an undergrad class of mine telling me about how she was in the process of donating an egg. I remember her saying that she was on some fertility drugs that made her super hyper able to get preggers and so she had to be extra careful with her bf.
She's a friend of my boyfriend's and beyond the fact that she did it & they've paid her handsomely, I don't really know. I'm not sure of the medical details as we aren't super close. But obviously people make some fairly extreme choices in the face of 6 figures of debt :?
Definitely. While I don't think it would be for me, I could definitely understand someone choosing to do it for the right price. Getting rid of a huge chunk of debt after 9 months would be awesome to say the least.

syd625

Bronze

Post by syd625 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:16 pm

I've considered donating eggs before but definitely wouldn't be a surrogate. I actually almost went through with donating eggs (found out about the opportunity through my UG's paper), but couldn't stop thinking about how a potential child's life would be like with parents who demanded an egg donor that fit certain, very specific physical and academic criteria. In the end, I couldn't do it, but debt makes you consider crazy things and if the family had been different/less intense I may have gone through with it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:24 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

tigyrgrl

New

Post by tigyrgrl » Sun May 19, 2013 11:33 am

Last edited by tigyrgrl on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:01 pm

I actually looked into donating eggs but I couldn't because my paternity is unknown so my family medical history is too much of a mystery. I totally would have done it, and still think of surrogacy occasionally when the idea of debt gets particularly weighty.. I just worry about any stigma with surrogacy because without people actually talking to me, they would assume its mine which has its own employment issues to consider.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu May 23, 2013 2:14 am

I realize the topic was surrogacy, not donating eggs, but please be careful. A college classmate of mine was on fertility drugs for donating eggs, got a blood clot, had a stoke, went into a long coma, and almost died. Obviously this is an extreme example, but blood clots are a well known risk. Money is not everything.

redline380

New

Post by redline380 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:53 am

I'd totally pimp out my uterus for 30 grand. Not.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”