LSAC Fee Waiver

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
alexrodriguez

LSAC Fee Waiver

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu May 16, 2013 4:54 am

I have been conditionally approved for an LSAC fee waiver. They are awaiting my tax returns which I have mailed.

My question is what does this fee waiver entitle me to? I can take the LSAT for free and what else? Do schools reduce their application fees for me?

Anything else I need to know?

Clearly

Re: LSAC Fee Waiver

Postby Clearly » Thu May 16, 2013 5:26 am

You can take the LSAT free, and every reputable school I've ever heard of waives application fees if you have an LSAC fee waiver.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:09 pm

The poster above is almost correct, in my circumstance every school but Stanford (a reputable school IMO) waived their app fee if you had an LSAC waiver. You will still have to pay the CRS fee that LSAC charges if you apply to more than three schools (the fee waiver only entitles you to up to 3 free CRS waivers). You also will have your LSAC account fee waived if you have not already paid it.

killerbee

Postby killerbee » Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 pm

You are also entitled to order the Official LSAT SuperPrep for free.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 pm

if you actually received need based fee waivers, then you're legit poor. go to HYS so you can get crazy need based $$

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Fri May 24, 2013 12:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:if you actually received need based fee waivers, then you're legit poor. go to HYS so you can get crazy need based $$

+1. I haven't heard of many people on these threads receiving LSAC need-based fee waivers. Will LSAC only pay for OP's LSAT once, or can OP take it two or three times for free?

At any rate, OP, keep taking the LSAT until you have an HYS-worthy score. Then you won't be poor no mo'.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:00 pm

I can anecdotally support that having a need-based fee waiver from LSAC definitely qualifies you for need based aid at some top schools. Over $90,000 of my $135,000 GULC scholarship was need-based.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 am

You get two free LSATs. Also my AmeriCorps salary made me eligible.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:49 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:if you actually received need based fee waivers, then you're legit poor. go to HYS so you can get crazy need based $$

+1. I haven't heard of many people on these threads receiving LSAC need-based fee waivers. Will LSAC only pay for OP's LSAT once, or can OP take it two or three times for free?

At any rate, OP, keep taking the LSAT until you have an HYS-worthy score. Then you won't be poor no mo'.

You get two times for free, and it doesn't even have to be in the same cycle as i've found out. I was worried that I would lose mine but never did. To show proof of income, I had to submit parental rights terminations and guardianship papers showing that at the age of 18 I was on my own, as my parents had never really been in the picture to begin with. Does anyone know how this translates to need-based aid at institutions? Will I have to submit the same types of papers to each program I consider for need-based aid?

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:47 am

louierodriguez wrote:I have been conditionally approved for an LSAC fee waiver. They are awaiting my tax returns which I have mailed.

My question is what does this fee waiver entitle me to? I can take the LSAT for free and what else? Do schools reduce their application fees for me?

Anything else I need to know?

Just so you know, almost everyone gets conditionally approved as long as you dot have a full time job.....once you get your taxes in, they will make a decision, you can still be denied, so I would wait before you purchase anything. I was conditionally approved then they saw my tax returns and denied me....

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:28 am

arkgawilson wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

You get two times for free, and it doesn't even have to be in the same cycle as i've found out. I was worried that I would lose mine but never did. To show proof of income, I had to submit parental rights terminations and guardianship papers showing that at the age of 18 I was on my own, as my parents had never really been in the picture to begin with. Does anyone know how this translates to need-based aid at institutions? Will I have to submit the same types of papers to each program I consider for need-based aid?

I got the waiver and the max subsidized loans but that's was it.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:18 am

I was approved.

Will schools automatically offer me need based money? Will they somehow know that I'm applying with a fee waiver and assume that I will need scholarships?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:51 am

louierodriguez wrote:I was approved.

Will schools automatically offer me need based money? Will they somehow know that I'm applying with a fee waiver and assume that I will need scholarships?

No - once admitted, you'll submit FAFSA and NeedAccess, which will determine based on your assets, income, and parental/family finances, how much "need-based" aid you qualify for. Moreover, most law schools outside of HYS don't really offer much need based aid: it will come down to merit/need combinations which depend on the desirability of your LSAT/GPA.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:54 pm

louierodriguez wrote:I was approved.

Don't you have yellow ribbon?

poke800ash

Postby poke800ash » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:42 am

PRgradBYU wrote:

If my memory serves me right, each LSAC fee waiver can cover 2 LSATs but if you have already taken the test, there is no refund.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:53 am

poke800ash wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

If my memory serves me right, each LSAC fee waiver can cover 2 LSATs but if you have already taken the test, there is no refund.

This is correct.

crg0097

Postby crg0097 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
poke800ash wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

This is correct.

I signed up and paid for October LSAT and then a few weeks later received an approved LSAC waiver. Does anyone know if/how I can get a refund on the October LSAT registration fee since I haven't taken the test yet?

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:00 pm

crg0097 wrote:
I signed up and paid for October LSAT and then a few weeks later received an approved LSAC waiver. Does anyone know if/how I can get a refund on the October LSAT registration fee since I haven't taken the test yet?

I would contact the LSAC

sunnydancer

Postby sunnydancer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:29 am

Hoping it's ok to post this in this thread instead of starting another fee waiver related thread...snail mailed my LSAC fee waiver cover letter and tax forms early last week (via overnight mail - intended to do it sooner, but I'm a dependent and my mother lives 2000 miles away, and bless her heart, but she would forget her head if it wasn't attached, let alone her tax forms). Woke up today to an email saying they hadn't been received, panicked, called LSAC and was told they probably just hadn't been processed...how long does processing usually take and do they let you know when they've been received/processed? I overnighted them on Tuesday, they were due Sunday, there is no damn way they didn't receive them!

Return to “Financial Aid”