Aid negotiation/deferral at CLS--five days to work it out

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
francesfarmer

Aid negotiation/deferral at CLS--five days to work it out

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 am

I haven't even received my financial package from CLS yet (I was admitted unexpectedly last Thursday). I have received need-based aid from other schools (e.g. Penn) so I am vaguely confident that they will give me something, which I will want to negotiate because my family's financial situation is not accurately reflected by the FAFSA or Need Access. It's complicated. I have a meeting with the head of my UG's financial aid office this week to discuss how to explain everything.

On top of this, up until last week I wasn't happy with any of my choices, I suddenly got promoted, and I had decided to stay at my job for another year. I really want to defer but I'm worried they won't offer me any need-based aid next year and I won't be in a position to negotiate. Does anyone have experience with this?

Finally, I'm going out of the country next Wednesday for a week. So there's an insane time crunch and I feel like I'm going to throw up from excitement and stress.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! My head is spinning.

beepboopbeep

Re: Aid negotiation/deferral at CLS--five days to work it out

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am

I also had a semi-complicated financial aid situation - had to write a non-custodial parent waiver and submit documentation of prior non-contact. Ended up with 85k.

I'd really recommend calling them. Hit zero until you're talking to a person. Tell them about your deadline. They'll rush things and email you scans of your award letter when they're ready.

Someone asked about the deferment thing at the first ASW, but I can't remember what they said. It's either that you get locked in before you defer or that you have to reapply for grants next spring. I can't remember. Another good one to ask them about on the phone.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:13 am

beepboopbeep wrote:I also had a semi-complicated financial aid situation - had to write a non-custodial parent waiver and submit documentation of prior non-contact. Ended up with 85k.

I'd really recommend calling them. Hit zero until you're talking to a person. Tell them about your deadline. They'll rush things and email you scans of your award letter when they're ready.

Someone asked about the deferment thing at the first ASW, but I can't remember what they said. It's either that you get locked in before you defer or that you have to reapply for grants next spring. I can't remember. Another good one to ask them about on the phone.

Thanks a lot! I am afraid to tell them I'm going on vacation because that makes me seem decidedly undeserving of need-based financial aid. Am I being paranoid?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 am

francesfarmer wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:I also had a semi-complicated financial aid situation - had to write a non-custodial parent waiver and submit documentation of prior non-contact. Ended up with 85k.

Thanks a lot! I am afraid to tell them I'm going on vacation because that makes me seem decidedly undeserving of need-based financial aid. Am I being paranoid?

Haha, nah. If you're really worried about it you could say you're travelling for work or something.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks! I called the office and if I defer, I will have to reapply for grant aid next year.

I feel slightly better! Thanks again!

Return to “Financial Aid”