Negotiating with equal amount of aid - help please!!

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Rlabo

Negotiating with equal amount of aid - help please!!

Postby Rlabo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Double posting this one. Would love to know how one might go about negotiating scholarship on the basis of ranking/prestige rather than having a higher scholly else wear. E.G. I have the same or almost equal scholarship for ucla(90k)/vandy(86k) as I do for Fordham (90k). Asking them to match an offer is one thing, but is there anyway I can go about asking Fordham to beat an offer without coming off as a jerk and actually appealing to them? It may also be worth mentioning I have a full ride at Cardozo, but doubt thts gonna budge Fordham as much as the other 2 may. Any advice is appreciated.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Negotiating with equal amount of aid - help please!!

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Rlabo wrote:Double posting this one. Would love to know how one might go about negotiating scholarship on the basis of ranking/prestige rather than having a higher scholly else wear. E.G. I have the same or almost equal scholarship for ucla(90k)/vandy(86k) as I do for Fordham (90k). Asking them to match an offer is one thing, but is there anyway I can go about asking Fordham to beat an offer without coming off as a jerk and actually appealing to them? It may also be worth mentioning I have a full ride at Cardozo, but doubt thts gonna budge Fordham as much as the other 2 may. Any advice is appreciated.

Have you thought about sending them all three offers?

Rlabo

Re: Negotiating with equal amount of aid - help please!!

Postby Rlabo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:19 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Double posting this one. Would love to know how one might go about negotiating scholarship on the basis of ranking/prestige rather than having a higher scholly else wear. E.G. I have the same or almost equal scholarship for ucla(90k)/vandy(86k) as I do for Fordham (90k). Asking them to match an offer is one thing, but is there anyway I can go about asking Fordham to beat an offer without coming off as a jerk and actually appealing to them? It may also be worth mentioning I have a full ride at Cardozo, but doubt thts gonna budge Fordham as much as the other 2 may. Any advice is appreciated.

Have you thought about sending them all three offers?

Yes, but I'm not sure what it is I should say: "Hey thanks for the 90k. While that's great, I got 90k from better schools so could you beat them to make your school more appealing? NYC is expensive but id love to come if i could more easily afford it." Obviously thats not how i would word it but you see my conundrum in the humor (or lack thereof)

Return to “Financial Aid”