Money for moving, computer, etc

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Berchild05
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Money for moving, computer, etc

Postby Berchild05 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to michigan state in the fall (moving from out of state) and am worried about how I'm going to pay for moving expenses, (1st/last month/deposit), etc. The COA doesn't account for a computer either which I definitely need. What are my options for getting assistance to pay for this stuff? I know federal loans and private loans like sallie mae are all disbursed by the school which isn't until classes actually start which is after the point of me needing the money.

What would be the best options for coming up with 3 to 4 thousand dollars for these costs? The credit I'd be eligible for is limited, any suggestions on what kind of loan would be best for this stuff? Thanks

User avatar
crazyducky924
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Money for moving, computer, etc

Postby crazyducky924 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:14 pm

I know that Wells Fargo will send student loan money directly to the borrower with proof of enrollment. I have used them in the past...

User avatar
jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor
Posts: 5749
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Re: Money for moving, computer, etc

Postby jne381 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Berchild05 wrote:Hi all,

I'm going to michigan state in the fall (moving from out of state) and am worried about how I'm going to pay for moving expenses, (1st/last month/deposit), etc. The COA doesn't account for a computer either which I definitely need. What are my options for getting assistance to pay for this stuff? I know federal loans and private loans like sallie mae are all disbursed by the school which isn't until classes actually start which is after the point of me needing the money.

What would be the best options for coming up with 3 to 4 thousand dollars for these costs? The credit I'd be eligible for is limited, any suggestions on what kind of loan would be best for this stuff? Thanks


The law college will adjust your need if you need a computer and can take out a loan for it. I think they do it up to $1400, or something.

MasterOfAllISurvey
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Money for moving, computer, etc

Postby MasterOfAllISurvey » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:26 pm

How soon before the beginning of law school does the money tend to hit the bank?

User avatar
jne381
AIPAC Chairman's Council Donor
Posts: 5749
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Re: Money for moving, computer, etc

Postby jne381 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:47 am

MasterOfAllISurvey wrote:How soon before the beginning of law school does the money tend to hit the bank?


I bought my computer the first week of law school, submitted the receipt, and then got the money in my account within the week.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Money for moving, computer, etc

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:32 pm

crazyducky924 wrote:I know that Wells Fargo will send student loan money directly to the borrower with proof of enrollment. I have used them in the past...


How much did you get from them? What was the interest? Were you able to pay it off immediately upon getting student loans?

I'm also interested in this topic as I am basically flat broke and will need thousands for moving expenses and deposit weeks before schools actually starts...I assume this problem must come up pretty frequently, right?

Purplebook
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Money for moving, computer, etc

Postby Purplebook » Fri May 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Berchild05 wrote:Hi all,

I'm going to michigan state in the fall (moving from out of state) and am worried about how I'm going to pay for moving expenses, (1st/last month/deposit), etc. The COA doesn't account for a computer either which I definitely need. What are my options for getting assistance to pay for this stuff? I know federal loans and private loans like sallie mae are all disbursed by the school which isn't until classes actually start which is after the point of me needing the money.

What would be the best options for coming up with 3 to 4 thousand dollars for these costs? The credit I'd be eligible for is limited, any suggestions on what kind of loan would be best for this stuff? Thanks



Can we talk about this again? :oops:

Kukimonsta
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

Re: Money for moving, computer, etc

Postby Kukimonsta » Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Purplebook wrote:
Berchild05 wrote:Hi all,

I'm going to michigan state in the fall (moving from out of state) and am worried about how I'm going to pay for moving expenses, (1st/last month/deposit), etc. The COA doesn't account for a computer either which I definitely need. What are my options for getting assistance to pay for this stuff? I know federal loans and private loans like sallie mae are all disbursed by the school which isn't until classes actually start which is after the point of me needing the money.

What would be the best options for coming up with 3 to 4 thousand dollars for these costs? The credit I'd be eligible for is limited, any suggestions on what kind of loan would be best for this stuff? Thanks



Can we talk about this again? :oops:


Pretty please?




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ellielaw, tangers91 and 2 guests