How much do you depend on federal grants and loans?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
caruiz93

How much do you depend on federal grants and loans?

Postby caruiz93 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:03 pm

I am not a US citizen therefore i am not eligible for federal grants or loans and i am from a low income background. My undergrad institution gave me a good deal with institutional scholarships and i am working full time to pay the rest as i go and it is working out well. However, law school will be a much more expensive endeavor and theres basically no way to pay for it as i go unless i get a full ride and a nice stipend somewhere (then i will not have to worry about working). Is federal aid and loans a big part of the average persons way to finance law school? I am weighing out my options as to whether i want to go the phD in history route and try to get funded by a private university while i become a citizen and then go to law school once I'm eligible for federal aid. The other option would be go straight to law school without federal aid. Is federal aid significant enough to where i should wait to be eligible for it? If this is too confusing of an explanation, just ask and i will clarify.

unclepete

Re: How much do you depend on federal grants and loans?

Postby unclepete » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:14 pm

caruiz93 wrote:I am not a US citizen therefore i am not eligible for federal grants or loans and i am from a low income background. My undergrad institution gave me a good deal with institutional scholarships and i am working full time to pay the rest as i go and it is working out well. However, law school will be a much more expensive endeavor and theres basically no way to pay for it as i go unless i get a full ride and a nice stipend somewhere (then i will not have to worry about working). Is federal aid and loans a big part of the average persons way to finance law school? I am weighing out my options as to whether i want to go the phD in history route and try to get funded by a private university while i become a citizen and then go to law school once I'm eligible for federal aid. The other option would be go straight to law school without federal aid. Is federal aid significant enough to where i should wait to be eligible for it? If this is too confusing of an explanation, just ask and i will clarify.

My advice would be to find an employer who will sponsor your permanent residency process. The clawbacks are usually only about 2 years, then you can go to law school. Correct me if I`m wrong, but green-card holders can also take out federal loans?

caruiz93

Postby caruiz93 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:24 pm

I believe you're right. However, i am part of the so called "dreamer" generation who were brought here by their parents when they were young and now are undocumented. With the proposed immigration reforms that were unveiled today i wouldn't be eligible for a green card or citizenship until 5 years (from the time legislation is passed and i begin the filing process). I have a good gpa, i plan on studying very hard for the lsat, and I am a URM with what i believe is a good story to write about for my diversity statement or essay, so i am confident i can get good scholarship money from the school itself. I do not mean to sound cocky at all, but with my projected numbers, diversity background, and decent volunteering and an upcoming internship as softs to give me a minor boost, i feel like i would be a strong applicant to law schools. The problem is funding, so i am trying to weigh out the options of whether i should put all my efforts into the lsat and gearing towards law school now, or if i should put my efforts into something else such as a graduate program in the meantime while i become eligible for federal aid, AND THEN apply to law school.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:32 pm

caruiz93 wrote:I believe you're right. However, i am part of the so called "dreamer" generation who were brought here by their parents when they were young and now are undocumented. With the proposed immigration reforms that were unveiled today i wouldn't be eligible for a green card or citizenship until 5 years (from the time legislation is passed and i begin the filing process). I have a good gpa, i plan on studying very hard for the lsat, and I am a URM with what i believe is a good story to write about for my diversity statement or essay, so i am confident i can get good scholarship money from the school itself. I do not mean to sound cocky at all, but with my projected numbers, diversity background, and decent volunteering and an upcoming internship as softs to give me a minor boost, i feel like i would be a strong applicant to law schools. The problem is funding, so i am trying to weigh out the options of whether i should put all my efforts into the lsat and gearing towards law school now, or if i should put my efforts into something else such as a graduate program in the meantime while i become eligible for federal aid, AND THEN apply to law school.

I don't know about undocumented students, but Yale at least provides loans backed by the school to foreign students. You can ask the schools what they do, but it may be less hopeless than you think.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
caruiz93 wrote:I believe you're right. However, i am part of the so called "dreamer" generation who were brought here by their parents when they were young and now are undocumented. With the proposed immigration reforms that were unveiled today i wouldn't be eligible for a green card or citizenship until 5 years (from the time legislation is passed and i begin the filing process). I have a good gpa, i plan on studying very hard for the lsat, and I am a URM with what i believe is a good story to write about for my diversity statement or essay, so i am confident i can get good scholarship money from the school itself. I do not mean to sound cocky at all, but with my projected numbers, diversity background, and decent volunteering and an upcoming internship as softs to give me a minor boost, i feel like i would be a strong applicant to law schools. The problem is funding, so i am trying to weigh out the options of whether i should put all my efforts into the lsat and gearing towards law school now, or if i should put my efforts into something else such as a graduate program in the meantime while i become eligible for federal aid, AND THEN apply to law school.

I don't know about undocumented students, but Yale at least provides loans backed by the school to foreign students. You can ask the schools what they do, but it may be less hopeless than you think.

There you go. Just think-- if you can become one of the best 250 law school applicants in the entire world, you have a slight chance of being admitted at Yale. But you never know, you could possibly be one of the those. Actually, your background is similar to mine: I am the son of immigrant parents, grew up working class and all of that other jazz. A few years ago, Yale made headlines by admitting a son of immigrant parents that had been in jail for years due to drug related charges. This guy got out of jail, attended a state school for a year, transferred to Brown undergrad and then enrolled at Yale law. Google him. His story is pretty cool.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:53 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:

There you go. Just think-- if you can become one of the best 250 law school applicants in the entire world, you have a slight chance of being admitted at Yale. But you never know, you could possibly be one of the those. Actually, your background is similar to mine: I am the son of immigrant parents, grew up working class and all of that other jazz. A few years ago, Yale made headlines by admitting a son of immigrant parents that had been in jail for years due to drug related charges. This guy got out of jail, attended a state school for a year, transferred to Brown undergrad and then enrolled at Yale law. Google him. His story is pretty cool.

Ha, sorry, I didn't mean Yale specifically, it's the just the one I happen to know. I really meant do other schools also provide loans like this backed by the schools and covered by their LRAP? It seems like some do.

caruiz93

Postby caruiz93 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:03 am

Haha i wouldn't consider myself one of the top 250 applicants in the world. If I'm being realistic I'm shooting for a top 25 school and a T14 as a reach. 3.75 with time to improve, URM, undocumented (so a good story), working my way through undergrad myself, and a few softs such as school newspaper, internship in immigration advocacy, tutoring kids and planning to study my ass off for the LSAT. But if some schools really do offer school backed loans,then it i not as hopeless.I just don't want to study my ass off this summer for the LSAT if i won't be able to afford law school anyway in the future you know?itd feel like a waste of time when i could be doing something more productive.

M458

Postby M458 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 am

Only 2 schools offer institutional loans--Harvard and Yale. Stanford might, but there's nothing on their website that clearly states it, so you'd have to check with them.

Every other school does merit-based aid, and even with a full-ride, you're going to have to cover COL which will range from $60-$80k depending on where you end up going.

Study your ass off for the LSAT and once you get that score back, then evaluate where you stand as an applicant. I'm guessing you also can't work right now and save up $? Or do you have a work permit under the deferred action order that passed a year ago? If you can work, do so and save up money so you can have savings that'll help you cover some of that COL and it'll also make you a more solid applicant as well as hopefully help your chances when looking for legal jobs.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:30 am

Spending the summer studying for the LSAT costs you nothing. You can borrow LSAT books from the library and put in like 2 hours a day. That's not a big deal, just cut out a couple hours of leisure time. And if you score very well, you never know what you might get in terms of scholarships - maybe you'll get a full ride somewhere (a few full rides even come with small stipends). And maybe you'll get into HYS. But studying for the LSAT has no cost and a potential gain, so just go for it.

romalee

Postby romalee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:31 am

It is good think and a basic right of a citizen if he get the advantages of federal grants as it is an economic aid that issued to applicants after noticing all his biography for his financial support. A federal grant is an award of financial assistance from a federal agency to a recipient that is given from the general federal revenue to carry out a public purpose of support or stimulation authorized by a law of the United States.

Return to “Financial Aid”