Would U Do It?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
countmein

Would U Do It?

Postby countmein » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Wouuld you leave a 120K/yr job to go to law school and get 100k in debt?

rinkrat19

Re: Would U Do It?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Not unless A)my job involved being stuck with hot pokers or was otherwise torturous and B)I got into HYS.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Not unless A)my job involved being stuck with hot pokers or was otherwise torturous and B)I got into HYS with no debt.

ftfy

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:41 pm

countmein wrote:Wouuld you leave a 120K/yr job to go to law school and get 100k in debt?

I personally wouldn't, although it would really depend on the school and the potential scholarship offers. What is your undergrad GPA? Have you taken the LSAT?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:52 pm

If you're a masochist, sure.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Does your job have opportunity for growth, advancement, lateral movement, etc.?

Are you happy and fulfilled doing the job you have now?

If you could say no to either of these, you may want to look at law school for a solid bet on yourself. I would urge you to be cautious in the threshold for school rank you accept considering your level of pay now.

On the other hand if you'd be happy doing legal work PI/not for profit and find a goal like that something you want for yourself, you have more things to think about.

I will be leaving my job come this fall to attend law school. I did not make a salary but earned by the hour based on what s. Korean families thought an hour of my time was worth for their kids. (I think they overvalued my time). PM me if you'd like to speak about my thoughts when I was thinking about leaving a well paying job in pursuit of goals I had that meant a lot for me to begin working towards.

Return to “Financial Aid”