Asking for money a second time

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar
kaf5250
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Asking for money a second time

Postby kaf5250 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:53 am

Ok so I have two unique cases here that I want to approach:

1. I emailed GW for more aid before the first deadline passed and asked for more money. I told them that I wouldn't be able to deposit at multiple schools because of financial reasons (which was true) and they got back to me before the deadline saying that they unfortunately could not increase my aid. My parents surprisingly offered to pay the first deposit to keep it on my list so now I want to go back again and ask for more money now that the deposit deadline has passed. Any idea how I would go about doing this after they already said no? Anyone successful at something like this willing to PM me their letter? I don't want to seem like I was lieing when I said I couldn't deposit as well, circumstances just changed.

2. I also negotiated with Cornell. They originally offered me 10,000/year and increased to 12,500/year which is still, unfortunately, not enough to make it work. I want to go back again and ask for another reconsideration.

If anyone could help me with what to say I would definitely appreciate it!

User avatar
dirtrida2
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Asking for money a second time

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:58 am

kaf5250 wrote:Ok so I have two unique cases here that I want to approach:

1. I emailed GW for more aid before the first deadline passed and asked for more money. I told them that I wouldn't be able to deposit at multiple schools because of financial reasons (which was true) and they got back to me before the deadline saying that they unfortunately could not increase my aid. My parents surprisingly offered to pay the first deposit to keep it on my list so now I want to go back again and ask for more money now that the deposit deadline has passed. Any idea how I would go about doing this after they already said no? Anyone successful at something like this willing to PM me their letter? I don't want to seem like I was lieing when I said I couldn't deposit as well, circumstances just changed.

2. I also negotiated with Cornell. They originally offered me 10,000/year and increased to 12,500/year which is still, unfortunately, not enough to make it work. I want to go back again and ask for another reconsideration.

If anyone could help me with what to say I would definitely appreciate it!


I'm in similar situation.

I have a full-ride but I asked for a stipend to help cover COL. They offered me a one-time $5,000 award. Unfortunately, I still think their is more room, especially since they are having trouble filling their class.

I assume I should wait till after the first deposit deadline and hit them again.

I am also stuck as to how to approach the situation. I would basically be pitching the same story; I can commute to school XYZ who has also provided a hefty scholarship, making my overall COA cheaper than attending XYZ.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest