Estimating total cost of attendance

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Estimating total cost of attendance

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:58 am

Is there any formula/site that allows you to estimate total cost of attendance? I ask because I see a lot of people on the boards who talk about the total sticker cost of attending school x or y, and it often seems like a lot more than simply the cost of tuition over three years plus rent/food/gas. Are there some hidden costs I'm forgetting to factor in? Any site that gives you a reasonably solid estimate?

Re: Estimating total cost of attendance

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 am

Posters have recently been talking about the GULC calculator. Pretty sure this is it. ... geid=61621

Postby cinephile » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:04 am

You also have books, health insurance, clothes (especially if you're interviewing), furniture if you're a 1L moving to a new place, and of course summer expenses that aren't included by the school's estimate.

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Most schools identify an estimated yearly cost on their websites or in their admitted student materials. You can plug that into the Georgetown calculator to see how much money you will actually owe once you graduate. This is what most people do on this site when they are listing total cost of attendance.

The school's calculations estimate costs for housing, food and personal expenses, though, which may be larger or smaller than what your costs will likely be. Because of this, the only way to compute that yearly cost for you specifically would be to go through your prospective budget and add everything up.

Return to “Financial Aid”