So I didn't get any financial aid from NYU and I submitted my appeal about 1.5 weeks ago (have yet to hear back). In my appeal I did not mention that I would unequivocally accept any offer that brought my tuition down substantially and I am considering emailing the financial aid dept and getting that message across.
To be clear, if I got a scholarship today (I'm thinking 50k + but I haven't really thought about what my magic number is) I would accept tomorrow and withdraw from my other options.
Otherwise I will wait till ASW at the end of the month and see how I feel after the visit. It is my top choice, but sticker makes it difficult for me to consider it over other offers.
Should I follow up with the "I will commit with a scholarship" email or is that just desperate and makes it sound like they are only my top choice if they give me a scholarship (which really isn't the case... well the desperate thing is).
Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 10170
- Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm
bsinoff wrote:Should I follow up with the "I will commit with a scholarship" email or is that just desperate and makes it sound like they are only my top choice if they give me a scholarship (which really isn't the case... well the desperate thing is).
I've written to schools expressing a similar sentiment: this is my top choice, but not at this price. A few friends from last cycle told me that the "Give me X $ and I'll place my seat deposit today" ultimatum strategy really only has a chance of working right up at the very end. I think some schools (*cough* Michigan) have a perverse perception that students will choose them regardless up until the very last moment. So I wouldn't throw that out there until right up to the wire. but this is all anecdotal so idk
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests