Waiting for financial aid...deadline coming soon what to do?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
elcee1987

Waiting for financial aid...deadline coming soon what to do?

Postby elcee1987 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 pm

So I feel like I'm in this total cluster. I've been accepted to MSU with 75% tuition scholarship. I'd really prefer to go to U of Arizona though, but I haven't heard back from them on financial aid packages. MSU's acceptance deadline is April 1, UA is April 6. If I don't hear back from UA by Monday, should I continue to wait and miss the MSU deadline, risking and hoping UA's package is a decent size? I feel like I'm screwed either way here.

As well, I still haven't heard back on whether I'm even ACCEPTED from UNM, ASU and UCLA, all schools that I would consider strongly if they offer a decent financial aid package. Is it even worth the risk at this point to wait (until the end of April, which they said I'd receive a response by) in the hopes that they will: a) accept me and b) offer me more financial aid than UA or MSU?

I'm just so confused, I'm feeling really screwed over by law schools in general now, which just means this is going to be a long three years.

PRgradBYU

Re: Waiting for financial aid...deadline coming soon what to do?

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:04 pm

You're feeling screwed over? When exactly did you apply to these schools?

elcee1987

Postby elcee1987 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:19 pm

End of December, beginning of January.

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 am

I would strongly consider retaking and reapplying earlier next cycle.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:24 am

Whatever you do, don't go to MSU. You'd be better off paying sticker elsewhere (not that its a great idea). I'd wait on UofA or UCLA.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am

Solistus wrote:I would strongly consider retaking and reapplying earlier next cycle.

+1. These schools didn't screw you over at all... you screwed yourself over for applying so late. I would know, because I did the same thing this cycle.

annet

Postby annet » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am

elcee1987 wrote:So I feel like I'm in this total cluster. I've been accepted to MSU with 75% tuition scholarship. I'd really prefer to go to U of Arizona though, but I haven't heard back from them on financial aid packages. MSU's acceptance deadline is April 1, UA is April 6. If I don't hear back from UA by Monday, should I continue to wait and miss the MSU deadline, risking and hoping UA's package is a decent size? I feel like I'm screwed either way here.

As well, I still haven't heard back on whether I'm even ACCEPTED from UNM, ASU and UCLA, all schools that I would consider strongly if they offer a decent financial aid package. Is it even worth the risk at this point to wait (until the end of April, which they said I'd receive a response by) in the hopes that they will: a) accept me and b) offer me more financial aid than UA or MSU?

I'm just so confused, I'm feeling really screwed over by law schools in general now, which just means this is going to be a long three years.

Send MSU and UA emails and ask for extensions on their seat deposit deadlines. Explain that while you remain very interested in those schools you are still waiting for financial aid offers from other schools you've applied to and cannot make a decision with incomplete information. Don't just miss deadlines because then you'll be in the position of having to beg for the package back. You need to communicate your needs to the schools.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 am

PRgradBYU wrote:
Solistus wrote:I would strongly consider retaking and reapplying earlier next cycle.

+1. These schools didn't screw you over at all... you screwed yourself over for applying so late. I would know, because I did the same thing this cycle.

First of all, that's not that late...to the OP, the schools should have given you a decision earlier, but I suspect it's some sort of YP they are doing. I would call the schools you are interested in and find out your status, then make the decision.

romalee

Postby romalee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:27 am

Check you status or file if everything is good and according to requirements leave a remember for your application into financial aid office or move to authorized person. Wait for further updates it will be issued on regular basis.

Return to “Financial Aid”