Michigan - do they negotiate?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Lax101

Michigan - do they negotiate?

Postby Lax101 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:03 am

I received a merit award from Michigan shortly after being accepted. In the award letter, they said that they do not "compete" or consider offers from other schools. The most they (state) they will do is address your concerns about financing law school.

Is this 100% true? Has anyone had success with negotiating with Michigan in spite of this proclamation?

Tom Joad

Re: Michigan - do they negotiate?

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:05 am

I didn't have any luck. Still kind of pissed about it.

Lax101

Postby Lax101 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:14 am

Tom Joad wrote:I didn't have any luck. Still kind of pissed about it.

Ouch. Was it that they stood by their "no negotiating" policy, or that they didn't respect a competing offer you had?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:16 am

Lax101 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I didn't have any luck. Still kind of pissed about it.

Ouch. Was it that they stood by their "no negotiating" policy, or that they didn't respect a competing offer you had?

I used a higher ranked school that offered me a bigger scholarship and they didn't budge. Just anecdotal, but I got the "no negotiating" policy. Maybe they thought I was a terrorist :mrgreen:

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:20 am

Lax101 wrote:I received a merit award from Michigan shortly after being accepted. In the award letter, they said that they do not "compete" or consider offers from other schools. The most they (state) they will do is address your concerns about financing law school.

Is this 100% true? Has anyone had success with negotiating with Michigan in spite of this proclamation?

This is probably not helpful at all OP and as a OL it might not mean anything, but for what it's worth, I talked to a member of admission at a law fair and they said that they take into consideration scholarships from other similar schools and that you could negotiate with them. They might have just been blowing smoke, but they did say that to me.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:56 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
Lax101 wrote:I received a merit award from Michigan shortly after being accepted. In the award letter, they said that they do not "compete" or consider offers from other schools. The most they (state) they will do is address your concerns about financing law school.

This is probably not helpful at all OP and as a OL it might not mean anything, but for what it's worth, I talked to a member of admission at a law fair and they said that they take into consideration scholarships from other similar schools and that you could negotiate with them. They might have just been blowing smoke, but they did say that to me.

+1. In one of my admissions emails (and even from a current Michigan law student that emailed me), I was told that they can sometimes match competing offers from other law schools.

J_stack

Postby J_stack » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:42 am

AFAIK, Michigan will negotiate based on other school's offers if they initally gave you nothing. But if they've already awarded you anything, they won't reconsider the amount.

jackbauer10

Postby jackbauer10 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 am

J_stack wrote:AFAIK, Michigan will negotiate based on other school's offers if they initally gave you nothing. But if they've already awarded you anything, they won't reconsider the amount.

bump. this concerns me too . . . can anyone confirm/deny?

Return to “Financial Aid”