Upgrading a Butler to a Hamilton at CLS?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Magnacromion

Upgrading a Butler to a Hamilton at CLS?

Postby Magnacromion » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi all,

At the risk of sounding entitled and ungrateful, I was hoping I might ask for a bit of advice on scholarship negotiation. I've been accepted at NYU with a Vanderbilt Scholarship (full tuition), Harvard at sticker, and Columbia with a Butler Fellowship (half tuition). Of these three, NYU definitely seems like the best deal. Harvard may have a bigger name than NYU, but it's not worth $150k extra, especially since mentioning the Vanderbilt on my résumé would probably make people assume that I got into Harvard.

I would, however, like to consider Columbia, but I was honestly expecting the Hamilton. My LSAT was 177, and my UGPA was in the upper end of the 3.90-4.00 range. I got into Harvard. Taken together, this usually leads to a Hamilton, from what I've heard. And I don't think I can make a good argument for Columbia unless they match NYU's offer.

Given that I have little interest in BigLaw (at least not for another 5-10 years) and really want a CoA clerkship followed by a career in appellate law with BigFed (or academia) I think this might be one of the rare circumstances in which there actually is a difference between Columbia and NYU in terms of placement prospects. Is there any way to ask CLS to upgrade my Butler to a Hamilton without sounding like a whiny brat? I've seen a lot of articles on how to ask a school which did not give merit aid to reconsider, but I haven't seen much on asking for more merit money after some has already been awarded.

Any thoughts? What are my odds of success?

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Upgrading a Butler to a Hamilton at CLS?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Magnacromion wrote:Hi all,

At the risk of sounding entitled and ungrateful, I was hoping I might ask for a bit of advice on scholarship negotiation. I've been accepted at NYU with a Vanderbilt Scholarship (full tuition), Harvard at sticker, and Columbia with a Butler Fellowship (half tuition). Of these three, NYU definitely seems like the best deal. Harvard may have a bigger name than NYU, but it's not worth $150k extra, especially since mentioning the Vanderbilt on my résumé would probably make people assume that I got into Harvard.

I would, however, like to consider Columbia, but I was honestly expecting the Hamilton. My LSAT was 177, and my UGPA was in the upper end of the 3.90-4.00 range. I got into Harvard. Taken together, this usually leads to a Hamilton, from what I've heard. And I don't think I can make a good argument for Columbia unless they match NYU's offer.

Given that I have little interest in BigLaw (at least not for another 5-10 years) and really want a CoA clerkship followed by a career in appellate law with BigFed (or academia) I think this might be one of the rare circumstances in which there actually is a difference between Columbia and NYU in terms of placement prospects. Is there any way to ask CLS to upgrade my Butler to a Hamilton without sounding like a whiny brat? I've seen a lot of articles on how to ask a school which did not give merit aid to reconsider, but I haven't seen much on asking for more merit money after some has already been awarded.

Any thoughts? What are my odds of success?

Dubious. Only graduating from Harvard, Stanford, or Yale will tell people that you got into harvard.

lsatprepguy

Postby lsatprepguy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 pm

not trying to sound like a jerk, but it seems that there really is no question here.

no matter how you ask for it or how you tone the request, your still going to be asking to change a Butler into a Hamilton.
Worst case scenario is that they don't grant your request and you end up exactly where you are now.
With all of that said, I wouldn't expect them to just turn around and say "sure, heres another 150k."

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Someone from this forum already tried. Columbia dismissed him. Vandy is going to be your best scholly

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Go to NYU so I can have your Butler.. .or Columbia so I can have your Vanderbilt... or Harvard so I can choose.. just whatever you do, withdraw quickly from the others! :)

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm

No harm in asking for more money, but I would not ask for a named scholarship.

Instead, make the case why Columbia is a perfect fit for you, and clearly spell out what you bring to the table besides numbers. (What do you have to offer the class of '16 and faculty?) If they want you bad enough, they might find more money. If not, at least you tried.

Return to “Financial Aid”