UCLA Scholarship Negotiation

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Alex12

UCLA Scholarship Negotiation

Postby Alex12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 pm

Here is my current situation: UCLA with $25,000 per year, USC with $30,000, Vanderbilt with $35,000 per year. Also Pepperdine with Faculty Scholarship (full tuition plus 5k living stipend). Honestly I will probably end up going to Pepperdine unless I can get UCLA to increase my scholarship substantially.
I am supposed to talk to Dean Schwartz today or tomorrow about this, what would anyone recommend bringing up in our conversation to help them increase my scholarship? I really want to go to UCLA, but as an out-of-state student that tuition is just more than I feel comfortable with.
Anyone who has successfully negotiated with UCLA please help me out!!!

dsn32

Re: UCLA Scholarship Negotiation

Postby dsn32 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Alex12 wrote:Here is my current situation: UCLA with $25,000 per year, USC with $30,000, Vanderbilt with $35,000 per year. Also Pepperdine with Faculty Scholarship (full tuition plus 5k living stipend). Honestly I will probably end up going to Pepperdine unless I can get UCLA to increase my scholarship substantially.
I am supposed to talk to Dean Schwartz today or tomorrow about this, what would anyone recommend bringing up in our conversation to help them increase my scholarship? I really want to go to UCLA, but as an out-of-state student that tuition is just more than I feel comfortable with.

They were really stingy with me. Had +5000/year at USC and +2500/year at GULC and got them to match GULC. Needless to say, I withdrew. Good luck on doing better than I did!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:04 am

Alex12 wrote:Here is my current situation: UCLA with $25,000 per year, USC with $30,000, Vanderbilt with $35,000 per year. Also Pepperdine with Faculty Scholarship (full tuition plus 5k living stipend). Honestly I will probably end up going to Pepperdine unless I can get UCLA to increase my scholarship substantially.

Don't go to any school in CA without ties to CA. California sounds cool and all but it's super expensive and that is the recipe for getting debt pwned IMO.

I would tell him that he needs to beat all your other offers or you will withdraw. Strong arming has seemed to work for other people this cycle. But seriously, choose a school that places well into a market that you have ties to and that is at a resonable cost.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:58 am

Send the Dean an e-mail and make the case. (Most TLS'ers say that UCLA gets back quickly.)

btw: Instate residency for tuition purposes is really easy to obtain in California in Year 2....

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:35 am

Will be chatting with Dean Schwartz on Sunday at law day about this. Ill let you know what I found out.

Return to “Financial Aid”