Negotiating Aid in Person Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
zestylemon

New

Negotiating Aid in Person

Post by zestylemon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey guys!

I'm meeting with Fordham's financial aid office next week and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to negotiate financial aid in person (most of the posts here are about letters). I mean from the most basic of 'what do I wear' to 'do I mention their recent pitfall from 29th to 38th' sort of stuff.

Thanks!

L-a-w

New

Re: Negotiating Aid in Person

Post by L-a-w » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Interested in this as well!

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:15 pm

I wouldn't bring up their drop in rankings. I'm sure they're aware of it, and it's not exactly tactful. I think business casual should be fine, and I would approach the subject the same way you would via email/letter.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:47 pm

whsy wrote:I wouldn't bring up their drop in rankings. I'm sure they're aware of it, and it's not exactly tactful. I think business casual should be fine, and I would approach the subject the same way you would via email/letter.
Imagine if you were them, and some arrogant 0L came in sounding like he/she was entitled to an increased scholarship because of a rankings drop...

zestylemon

New

Post by zestylemon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Doing this tomorrow, expecting it to be a mostly informal chat about loans and stuff but I'll let you all know how it goes!

zestylemon

New

Post by zestylemon » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Definitely more of a casual conversation on loans, debt, options they have for guiding people through the loans process, etc. It wasn't a negotiating aid atmosphere so I didn't attempt anything, so to anyone doing this, make sure you have a good idea of what you're getting into before you go creating an awkward conversation.

Hope that helps a bit!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”