Getting loans for law school

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ghostowl

Getting loans for law school

Postby ghostowl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 am

Hi, Im currently out of the country, and someone told me that you might have to go back to the US to acquire your loans because the banks need to see you in person in order to process your loans for law school. Is this true? Is there any way to do it while Im living overseas? Im planning to fly back to the States around July since school starts on August, but if I have to dish out a ton of money for a plane ticket, I might have to go back much earlier than planned. Does anyone also know how early you have to get your loans by?

Thanks in advance

EvilClinton

Re: Getting loans for law school

Postby EvilClinton » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 am

ghostowl wrote:Hi, Im currently out of the country, and someone told me that you might have to go back to the US to acquire your loans because the banks need to see you in person in order to process your loans for law school. Is this true? Is there any way to do it while Im living overseas? Im planning to fly back to the States around July since school starts on August, but if I have to dish out a ton of money for a plane ticket, I might have to go back much earlier than planned. Does anyone also know how early you have to get your loans by?

Thanks in advance

What? No. You don't need to be in person and you can complete the loan process a couple weeks before school starts.

Unless you are getting private loans for some reason. Are you a US citizen?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:03 am

EvilClinton wrote:
ghostowl wrote:Hi, Im currently out of the country, and someone told me that you might have to go back to the US to acquire your loans because the banks need to see you in person in order to process your loans for law school. Is this true? Is there any way to do it while Im living overseas? Im planning to fly back to the States around July since school starts on August, but if I have to dish out a ton of money for a plane ticket, I might have to go back much earlier than planned. Does anyone also know how early you have to get your loans by?

Thanks in advance

What? No. You don't need to be in person and you can complete the loan process a couple weeks before school starts.

Unless you are getting private loans for some reason. Are you a US citizen?
Yeah, unless you're actually signing papers in a bank (which would only happen on private loans and maybe not even then), you do it all online.

Have you filled out your FAFSA (and NeedAccess if you need to do that)?

ghostowl

Postby ghostowl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 am

I am a US citizen and I haven't done my FAFSA yet. So its all a online process? Do I need to give proof of employment/tax overseas since I've been currently living and working overseas?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 am

ghostowl wrote:I am a US citizen and I haven't done my FAFSA yet. So its all a online process? Do I need to give proof of employment/tax overseas since I've been currently living and working overseas?

Uh, have you checked financial aid instructions for your school? You're already late with FAFSA (and other forms) for some schools. You should have done it already.

Yes, it's all online. You basically need your adjusted gross income from your taxes and that's pretty much it.

You obviously have internet. Go to look at it yourself. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Return to “Financial Aid”