Need help about finding information about Fin Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Junebugman

Need help about finding information about Fin Aid

Postby Junebugman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm interested in applying to law school in a few years, but I know nothing about the financial aid system. A friend of mine just applied to several different schools and some offered her money right away(Loyola 90k for example). The only knowledge I have about Fin Aid is my experience in UG which is I fill out a fafsa and then get an email from my school telling me what grants I got and how much. I don't really apply for scholarships since my fafsa tends to pay my entire UG cost. Is there any good reading material out there about how fin aid works in law school?

Thank you

wannabelawstudent

Re: Need help about finding information about Fin Aid

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:51 pm

The lsac.org site has a good section under guides on how to pay for law school. Start there. Then go.

Junebugman

Postby Junebugman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 am

I read the entire page but it still left me with questions about the whole scholarship process. How do so many people manage to get money automatically when they gain acceptance? Is it a needs or merit based scholarship? For example, my friend has a 3.2/166 and received acceptance into UCSD and LMU. UCSD offered her $25k and LMU offered her around $90k

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:19 am

Junebugman wrote:I read the entire page but it still left me with questions about the whole scholarship process. How do so many people manage to get money automatically when they gain acceptance? Is it a needs or merit based scholarship? For example, my friend has a 3.2/166 and received acceptance into UCSD and LMU. UCSD offered her $25k and LMU offered her around $90k

Some schools include it in their admissions packet. Some schools will email you later on. Outside of Harvard and Yale etc its all merit based,

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:22 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Outside of Harvard and Yale etc its all merit based,

This is incorrect. My T14 gave me a ton of need based aid. I also was offered need based aid at several other top schools after filling out FAFSA and Needs Access as a 0L.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:23 am

EvilClinton wrote:

This is incorrect. My T14 gave me a ton of need based aid. I also was offered need based aid at several other top schools after filling out FAFSA and Needs Access as a 0L.

Ah ok, I didn't know if it extended to the rest of the 14 (hence the etc.). Are you talking about loans or what?

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:25 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

Ah ok, I didn't know if it extended to the rest of the 14 (hence the etc.). Are you talking about loans or what?

Nope. Grants. Also, mine were not guaranteed from year to year but ended up being the same all three years.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:27 am

EvilClinton wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

Nope. Grants. Also, mine were not guaranteed from year to year but ended up being the same all three years.

And some of those were non-t14? None of my schools require needaccess but damn I would love a grant.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:30 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Ah ok, I didn't know if it extended to the rest of the 14 (hence the etc.). Are you talking about loans or what?

And some of those were non-t14? None of my schools require needaccess but damn I would love a grant.

Yep at least two were. The school I ended up attending only required fafsa so maybe you will get some too.

I should mention that my parents are and have always been extremely poor. They make less than 30k per year and I have always reported their info with mine on FAFSA. I am convinced that has helped me get aid.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 am

Wow....for some reason I just thought need based grants etc were impossible out of the top 14. Do you mind telling me or pming me those 2

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:46 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Wow....for some reason I just thought need based grants etc were impossible out of the top 14. Do you mind telling me or pming me those 2

Need-based aid is RARE in law school outside of HYS. Not completely non-existent, but not something to be counted on. The vast majority of law students depend on (besides their own/family's money) loans and merit scholarships. There are no Federal grants or subsidized loans for law school; only unsubsidized loans.

OP, you need to go to each school's website and see what they require. Some just want FAFSA, some want other forms (like NeedAccess) or supplemental essays.

Return to “Financial Aid”