How long to wait?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
whsy

How long to wait?

Postby whsy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:25 pm

I submitted my negotiation letter to a TT school two weeks ago... the Dean got back to me a last week saying he would forward my letter to the committee to decide (this seems to be the standard statement for quite a few schools). It has been a week now... how long should I wait before following up?

spleenworship

Re: How long to wait?

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:19 pm

whsy wrote:I submitted my negotiation letter to a TT school two weeks ago... the Dean got back to me a last week saying he would forward my letter to the committee to decide (this seems to be the standard statement for quite a few schools). It has been a week now... how long should I wait before following up?

When are the deadlines for your schools?

I'd contact them again a week beforehand.

whsy

Postby whsy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 pm

spleenworship wrote:
whsy wrote:I submitted my negotiation letter to a TT school two weeks ago... the Dean got back to me a last week saying he would forward my letter to the committee to decide (this seems to be the standard statement for quite a few schools). It has been a week now... how long should I wait before following up?

Deadline is april 1st for a school I'm considering. I'm really hoping not to have to pay multiple deposits as I sit waiting for a response. I emailed the school in follow up last week after 10 days of waiting, and they have not responded. What do you guys think I should do?

DorthyMantooth

Postby DorthyMantooth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm sitting in the same position and would like to know as well.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:18 pm

whsy wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Deadline is april 1st for a school I'm considering. I'm really hoping not to have to pay multiple deposits as I sit waiting for a response. I emailed the school in follow up last week after 10 days of waiting, and they have not responded. What do you guys think I should do?

I'd call next Monday and tell them you need a decision within 3 days. Be polite though and use the word please. You can even be a little apologetic.

whsy

Postby whsy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 pm

I'd call next Monday and tell them you need a decision within 3 days. Be polite though and use the word please. You can even be a little apologetic.[/quote]

Thanks, I think that's what I'll do. This is definitely a turn off though, the lack of response is definitely a turn off though...

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 pm

whsy wrote:
Thanks, I think that's what I'll do. This is definitely a turn off though, the lack of response is definitely a turn off though...

and it should be. That said, though, the people who pissed me off the most ended up being the school I went to. Don't fall for the idea that the admin/admissions offices have anything to do with how well you will like the school, the faculty, or your classmates.

Return to “Financial Aid”