Negotiate now or wait for peer school?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
eligator9
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Negotiate now or wait for peer school?

Postby eligator9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 pm

[EDIT] Added school names per a suggestion

So here's my situation. Hopefully this is more simple than I think.

I've been accepted to Wake Forest with $12k per year in merit-based aid. I was also accepted at UIUC with $5k per year, and have all but ruled that school out for multiple reasons.

The other day, I was accepted at Case Western, which is about 20 spots below Wake in the USNWR rankings, with a $35k/year scholarship.

I have several pending decisions, at UNC, UF, and Emory (not expecting to get in at Emory, not holding my breath at UNC because of their in-state lean).

My question is about negotiation— should I use my acceptance and large scholarship to Case to try and get more money from Wake? Or should I wait for the other three schools to get back to me?

I understand the risks of each. I'm concerned that if I wait and dont get in anywhere else, I will have missed my window to negotiate with School A.

A few other factors to consider:
1) I have good ties in Cleveland, but not any market Wake Forest serves. However, Wake is closer to my home in Florida.
2) I'm obviously not planning to broadcast this to the schools, but my family is planning to cover most, or all, of whatever costs remain after scholarships, but I'd rather that amount be small for everyone's sake.


Really appreciate the help in advance, TLSers.
Last edited by eligator9 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Negotiate now or wait for peer school?

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:53 pm

eligator9 wrote:So here's my situation. Hopefully this is more simple than I think.

I've been accepted to School A (lower T1) with $12k per year in merit-based aid. I was also accepted at School B with $5k per year, and have all but ruled that school out for multiple reasons.

The other day, I was accepted at School C, which is about 20 spots below School A in the USNWR rankings, with a $35k/year scholarship.

I have several pending decisions, two of which are peer schools for School A and one of which is a mid-T1 to which I am not expecting to get in.

My question is about negotiation— should I use my acceptance and large scholarship to School C to try and get more money from School A? Or should I wait for the other three schools to get back to me?

I understand the risks of each. I'm concerned that if I wait and dont get in anywhere else, I will have missed my window to negotiate with School A.

A few other factors to consider:
1) I have good ties in the market where School C is, but not School A. However, A is closer to my home.
2) One of the schools I have yet to hear from is a ranking peer with School A, while another is more of a geographic peer.
3) I'm obviously not planning to broadcast this to the schools, but my family is planning to cover most, or all, of whatever costs remain after scholarships, but I'd rather that amount be small for everyone's sake.


Really appreciate the help in advance, TLSers.

Rankings aren't really helpful and if you don't give TLSers the school names they're not going to be able to help much

Just my 2

eligator9
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Negotiate now or wait for peer school?

Postby eligator9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Fair. I've just seen other posts use the School A/School B thing.

School A is Wake. School B is UIUC. School C is Case Western.

Schools I'm waiting for are UF, UNC, and Emory.

Just not really looking for the "none of those schools are worth it" answer. But hey, if that's really the answer, let me have it.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Negotiate now or wait for peer school?

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:03 pm

eligator9 wrote:Fair. I've just seen other posts use the School A/School B thing.

School A is Wake. School B is UIUC. School C is Case Western.

Schools I'm waiting for are UF, UNC, and Emory.

Just not really looking for the "none of those schools are worth it" answer. But hey, if that's really the answer, let me have it.

Haha just pointing it out if you wanted a more comprehensive answer. I'm a 0l so that's about all I could do to help out . Good luck

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Negotiate now or wait for peer school?

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:07 pm

eligator9 wrote:Fair. I've just seen other posts use the School A/School B thing.

School A is Wake. School B is UIUC. School C is Case Western.

Schools I'm waiting for are UF, UNC, and Emory.

Just not really looking for the "none of those schools are worth it" answer. But hey, if that's really the answer, let me have it.


Probably a good idea to rule out School B. I am sure you already know that each of these schools will only have regional reach and no portability. TLS is not really a fan of Case Western either so do not expect any positive news from that school. Question, what are your numbers? Seeing that you did not get a substantial scholarship from Wake makes it seem that Emory is out of the picture, and probably also UNC unless you are from NC. If i recall correctly, they take like 80% of their class from in-state. Negotiating can never hurt you. If the thing holding you back from attending a school is the financial burden it puts on you to pay to attend, be honest and admit it. Show them another offer you have that does not place that burden. Obviously, it is ideal to show them an offer from a school in a competing market, but it is not always possible. Also, it does not hurt to be patient and wait until the other schools get back to you. In fact, it may be better especially if they need your numbers.
Last edited by Dmini7 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eligator9
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Negotiate now or wait for peer school?

Postby eligator9 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Probably a good idea to rule out School B. I am sure you already know that each of these schools will only have regional reach and no portability. TLS is not really a fan of Case Western either so do not expect any positive news from that school. Question, what are your numbers? Seeing that you did not get a substantial scholarship from Wake makes it seem that Emory is out of the picture, and probably also UNC unless you are from NC. If i recall correctly, they take like 80% of their class from in-state. Negotiating can never hurt you. If the thing holding you back from attending a school is the financial burden it puts on you to pay to attend, be honest and admit it. Show them another offer you have that does not place that burden. Obviously, it is ideal to show them an offer from a school in a competing market, but it is not always possible.



Appreciate the help. I am a really crappy 3.2/162 applicant. I was very heavily leaning towards retaking in June and taking the year (or two) off, but for various reasons, I'm about 95% decided to attend law school this Fall.

I had a feeling, which you have echoed, that I'm out at Emory and probably UNC. If I'm reading you correctly, you'd say it is better to go ahead and try and negotiate now rather than waiting a few more weeks for the other three schools. Thanks again.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest