Columbia and U of Chicago merit

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
PBJones

New

Columbia and U of Chicago merit

Postby PBJones » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 am

Have been admitted to both schools. I got into U of Chicago just this past friday, so don't know if they're offering me anything yet (admissions letter is, they say, arriving in the mail soon) and I got into Columbia several weeks ago (though have heard nothing in the way of scholarships).

Are there any special forms I have to fill out to apply for, or maximize my chances to receive, merit aid? Or do I just wait and hope I get a letter or email throwing some scholly love my way? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this, and sorry if these are stupid questions.

orbotop

New

Re: Columbia and U of Chicago merit

Postby orbotop » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm

No action required for Chicago. You can reasonably expect to hear whether you get merit aid in April, by email.

Columbia requires several things to be considered for grants -- need/merit combination -- and you should submit soon, as the deadline already has passed (1 March, although I know they are somewhat flexible). Columbia requires Need Access, FAFSA, an internal Columbia form you can find on the admitted student's site, and signed/dated 2012 tax returns. If you don't have 2012 returns, you can submit 2011s, but they'll still require the 2012s when you have them.

PBJones wrote:Have been admitted to both schools. I got into U of Chicago just this past friday, so don't know if they're offering me anything yet (admissions letter is, they say, arriving in the mail soon) and I got into Columbia several weeks ago (though have heard nothing in the way of scholarships).

Are there any special forms I have to fill out to apply for, or maximize my chances to receive, merit aid? Or do I just wait and hope I get a letter or email throwing some scholly love my way? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this, and sorry if these are stupid questions.

Return to “Financial Aid�