Negotiating with X vs. Y

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
samn
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Negotiating with X vs. Y

Postby samn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi all,

I've pretty much decided that I will be attending school X. They offered me $30,000 a year, but peer school Y offered me $108,000 over three years. For several reasons, I don't want to attend school Y. Can I still use Y's scholarship offer in negotiations with X?

My proposed email:

Dear X,

I was recently admitted to X with a $30,000 a year scholarship, and it is my top law school choice. However, expense is an important factor for me and my family, and Y offered me a scholarship of $108,000 over three years. If X increased my scholarship, it would make my choice completely obvious. Is this a possibility?

Sincerely,
samn

Three questions:

1.) Is this email good?
2.) If X calls my bluff, I will (almost) certainly still choose X over Y. Does this fact matter? X wouldn't take back their offer, right?
3.) In the February LSAT, I increased my score from 162 to 163. Should I mention this?

Thanks is advance.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Negotiating with X vs. Y

Postby spleenworship » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:28 pm

samn wrote:Hi all,

I've pretty much decided that I will be attending school X. They offered me $30,000 a year, but peer school Y offered me $108,000 over three years. For several reasons, I don't want to attend school Y. Can I still use Y's scholarship offer in negotiations with X?

My proposed email:

Dear X,

I was recently admitted to X with a $30,000 a year scholarship, and it is my top law school choice. However, expense is an important factor for me and my family, and Y recently admitted me and offered me a scholarship of $108,000 over three years ($36,000 per year). Given the current state of the economy and the huge burden that student loan debt can be, I feel I have to take the extra $18,000 under serious consideration. That said, X is sincerely my first choice, and I would really prefer to go to your school becaus of (examples A, B, and C). Obviously this is a tough decision for me. If X was to increase my scholarship, it would make my choice completely obvious very easy. Isthis a possibility? there anything X might be able to do to help mitigate the higher cost of attendance at your institution? Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely,
samn

Three questions:

1.) Is this email good?
2.) If X calls my bluff, I will (almost) certainly still choose X over Y. Does this fact matter? X wouldn't take back their offer, right?
3.) In the February LSAT, I increased my score from 162 to 163. Should I mention this?

Thanks is advance.


1) I edited this for you. This is how I would write it. Do what you like with it, but I personally think you have to be very careful and a little less direct.
2) Not really, it is incredibly unlikely they would take back their offer unless you are a dick about it.
3) I wouldn't.

FYI, I used a letter like this to get a 95% scholly somewhere, so take that FWIW.

samn
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: Negotiating with X vs. Y

Postby samn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks so much, spleenworship! This is really helpful. I'll report back here if it works.

samn
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: Negotiating with X vs. Y

Postby samn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:49 pm

Alas, the school ("X") had already given out all of their scholarship funds when I emailed. I'm still planning to matriculate there. The moral of the story is, apparently: negotiate early.

Regardless, I still really appreciate the help, spleenworship.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Negotiating with X vs. Y

Postby spleenworship » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:31 pm

samn wrote:Alas, the school ("X") had already given out all of their scholarship funds when I emailed. I'm still planning to matriculate there. The moral of the story is, apparently: negotiate early.

Regardless, I still really appreciate the help, spleenworship.



That might change after the deposit date. Some people with money there won't matriculate. Try again after that date.

Username123
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Negotiating with X vs. Y

Postby Username123 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:50 am

spleenworship wrote:
samn wrote:Alas, the school ("X") had already given out all of their scholarship funds when I emailed. I'm still planning to matriculate there. The moral of the story is, apparently: negotiate early.

Regardless, I still really appreciate the help, spleenworship.



That might change after the deposit date. Some people with money there won't matriculate. Try again after that date.


Does that mean he has to deposit there in order to negotiate? A lot of people mention that a great time for negotiation is following the first deadline when a lot of the scholarship money goes back into the pool. But, if you don't deposit yourself, how would they negotiate with you? It would be a waste of a couple hundred dollars just for a slight chance that the previous "no, our funds are depleted" changes to "yeah, we have money to give you now".

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Negotiating with X vs. Y

Postby spleenworship » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
samn wrote:Alas, the school ("X") had already given out all of their scholarship funds when I emailed. I'm still planning to matriculate there. The moral of the story is, apparently: negotiate early.

Regardless, I still really appreciate the help, spleenworship.



That might change after the deposit date. Some people with money there won't matriculate. Try again after that date.


Does that mean he has to deposit there in order to negotiate? A lot of people mention that a great time for negotiation is following the first deadline when a lot of the scholarship money goes back into the pool. But, if you don't deposit yourself, how would they negotiate with you? It would be a waste of a couple hundred dollars just for a slight chance that the previous "no, our funds are depleted" changes to "yeah, we have money to give you now".


This is true. It really is only an option if you are seriously considering both schools and have deposits at both, or if the school you want more has an earlier deposit deadline.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest