How to ask for money when you got accepted.

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
resilience9

How to ask for money when you got accepted.

Postby resilience9 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:45 pm

What should it sound like
Last edited by resilience9 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Re: How to ask for money when you barely got accepted.

Postby guano » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:51 pm

resilience9 wrote:I want to ask one of my reach schools for money, but they are already cheaper than the other schools I applied to because the school is public. Should I ask, and how? My numbers are below their medians. I need money!

Dear X,

Thank you very much for accepting me. Y is my favorite school, but, costs are a major consideration for me, and I was wondering if there's anything that you can do to make the decision to attend law school easier.

Thank you,

Resilience9

resilience9

Postby resilience9 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 pm

any other input?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:24 pm

guano wrote:
resilience9 wrote:I want to ask one of my reach schools for money, but they are already cheaper than the other schools I applied to because the school is public. Should I ask, and how? My numbers are below their medians. I need money!

Dear X,

Thank you very much for accepting me. Y is my favorite school, but, costs are a major consideration for me, and I was wondering if there's anything that you can do to make the decision to attend law school easier.

Thank you,

Resilience9

This should be the core of your message. I would personally add more information to avoid making it generic though. Not everyone recommends it, but I think at least stating one thing about the school that really makes it your top can't hurt.

resilience9

Postby resilience9 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 pm

I hope I get something
Last edited by resilience9 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 pm

resilience9 wrote:What is the worst that could happen?(not rhetorical) my lsat is 10 pts below their median and my gpa is on par? But, I really need the money.

I think shame / embarrasement is the worst that can come from one of these letters. Expect the worst and you won't have either of those though..

guano

Postby guano » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
guano wrote:

Dear X,

Thank you,

Resilience9

This should be the core of your message. I would personally add more information to avoid making it generic though. Not everyone recommends it, but I think at least stating one thing about the school that really makes it your top can't hurt.
I agree completely. The point you're trying to make is that it's your dream school, but, at sticker it'll just remain a dream

Return to “Financial Aid”