LRAP and Academia Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
aaronbgavin

New

LRAP and Academia

Post by aaronbgavin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Does anyone know which of the t14 definitely include academic jobs as part of their LRAP? Is there a list somewhere?

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Re: LRAP and Academia

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Bump for interest.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Yale use to have an LRAP that covered pretty much anything below a certain salary cut-off, but I think that changed a year or two ago.

Also, are you talking about college professor or what? (Because tenure-track law professor positions are going to be above any LRAP salary cut-off, no matter if the type of work qualifies.)

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Yale use to have an LRAP that covered pretty much anything below a certain salary cut-off, but I think that changed a year or two ago.

Also, are you talking about college professor or what? (Because tenure-track law professor positions are going to be above any LRAP salary cut-off, no matter if the type of work qualifies.)
Yeah but below tenure isn't - associate, teaching classes while getting a PhD, etc.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:19 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Yale use to have an LRAP that covered pretty much anything below a certain salary cut-off, but I think that changed a year or two ago.

Yeah but below tenure isn't - associate, teaching classes while getting a PhD, etc.
I said tenure-track (not tenure). And from what I know, tenure-track law prof positions are typically 100K+ (and that's probably a very conservative baseline number, especially for top schools). (But maybe TTT/TTTTs pay a lot less?)
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:21 pm

Ah good point. I guess it would just depend then. So most LRAP programs are just below a certain salary in a JD related field?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Ah good point. I guess it would just depend then. So most LRAP programs are just below a certain salary in a JD related field?
I thought they had to be non-profit or a select other group of things (I know some schools include clerkships and some don't). (E.g., I doubt shitlaw 30K/yr would qualify on most all schools' LRAP.) Public interest people would be able to answer this question better than me though.

ETA: There was a good breakdown of the LRAPs of the top schools on TLS a few years ago. The thread might be lost forever, but it might be around here somewhere. It might not be up-to-date on each school, but it might provide an idea for what typically does and does not qualify.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:26 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Ah good point. I guess it would just depend then. So most LRAP programs are just below a certain salary in a JD related field?
I thought they had to be non-profit or a select other group of things (I know some schools include clerkships and some don't). (E.g., I doubt shitlaw 30K/yr would qualify on most all schools' LRAP.) Public interest people would be able to answer this question better than me though.
For my purposes I mostly meant academia, clerkship, and PI. But yeah I got you. Thanks.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote: ETA: There was a good breakdown of the LRAPs of the top schools on TLS a few years ago. The thread might be lost forever, but it might be around here somewhere. It might not be up-to-date on each school, but it might provide an idea for what typically does and does not qualify.
Found it: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 15&t=62094

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote: ETA: There was a good breakdown of the LRAPs of the top schools on TLS a few years ago. The thread might be lost forever, but it might be around here somewhere. It might not be up-to-date on each school, but it might provide an idea for what typically does and does not qualify.
Found it: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 15&t=62094
Dude that's awesome, thanks.
Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Predictably, Harvard and Yale LRAPs are absolutely killer.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:40 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Predictably, Harvard and Yale LRAPs are absolutely killer.
I don't have a link to this, but I'm fairly certain Yale's is not nearly as good as it was at the time that was posted. (I think it has to be legal-related now, maybe non-profit.)

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the LRAPs got worse, b/c those programs were pre-market collapse. Chicago's might be better than what the thread says, though, since they poured a lot of money into it like 2 years ago.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Makes sense. I hope they kept the undergraduate loans up to a certain point and academia aspects. I'll check it out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:57 pm

Possibly Chicago

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:07 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Possibly Chicago
Doesn't look like it:
Employment Covered by LRAP

A graduate must be a paid full-time employee working at least nine months in the calendar year in which the assistance is requested. A graduate must be: (a) engaged in the full-time practice of the law, or in a position normally requiring a law degree; (b) working for the public interest broadly defined; and (c) working for a non-profit organization, defined as a 501(c)(3), government office, or judicial clerkship, other than academia. Graduates employed by the Law School, or those with unpaid positions such as internships and volunteer positions, do not qualify for assistance. Those with questions about eligible postitions should contact the Admissions & Financial Aid Office. Participants wishing to take a parental leave should petition the Committee; a one year extension may be offered.
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/financialaid/LRAP

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Possibly Chicago
Doesn't look like it:
Employment Covered by LRAP

A graduate must be a paid full-time employee working at least nine months in the calendar year in which the assistance is requested. A graduate must be: (a) engaged in the full-time practice of the law, or in a position normally requiring a law degree; (b) working for the public interest broadly defined; and (c) working for a non-profit organization, defined as a 501(c)(3), government office, or judicial clerkship, other than academia. Graduates employed by the Law School, or those with unpaid positions such as internships and volunteer positions, do not qualify for assistance. Those with questions about eligible postitions should contact the Admissions & Financial Aid Office. Participants wishing to take a parental leave should petition the Committee; a one year extension may be offered.
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/financialaid/LRAP
Looks like you're right. I figured since they covered clerkships they would cover anything JD-required for a nonprofit

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”