Scholarship Negotiation Letter

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nickb285

Scholarship Negotiation Letter

Postby nickb285 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Hoping I could get some feedback on what I'm writing to the admissions office to try and negotiate a scholarship.

*Edited for privacy; if you're interested in what I wrote PM me.
Last edited by nickb285 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon_Don

Re: Scholarship Negotiation Letter

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 pm

I would remove "As you know, the economy and the job market for attorneys have been ailing for the last few years. While I am confident in my ability to perform in law school, and hopeful that as the economy recovers, the legal market will recover also, the reality of the current economic situation means that minimizing debt, and thus mitigating risk, are of great importance to incoming students like myself". I think that is all unnecessary, but overall the rest seems great.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 pm

You don't think it needs something between "I like your school" and "this offer sucks"? It seems like a weird transition without a segue.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:35 pm

nickb285 wrote:You don't think it needs something between "I like your school" and "this offer sucks"? It seems like a weird transition without a segue.

you liking their school is implied and that their offer sucks is implied by showing the other enticing offers. IDK, you could add a shortened transition. good luck

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Hmm. Maybe just something like "Although I am confident in my ability to perform in law school, the weak economy and ailing job market mean that minimizing debt is extremely important to me" instead of those two sentences?

Return to “Financial Aid”