High Income and Need Based Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
GoingForGold

High Income and Need Based Aid

Postby GoingForGold » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 pm

So, NU for instance, says that any money granted is combination of need and merit. I am still looking up the rest of my schools.

I am going to be showing an income of 150k+. Am I automatically going to be disregarded?

Tiago Splitter

Re: High Income and Need Based Aid

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:03 pm

GoingForGold wrote:So, NU for instance, says that any money granted is combination of need and merit. I am still looking up the rest of my schools.

I am going to be showing an income of 150k+. Am I automatically going to be disregarded?

No. The "need/merit" combo awards seem to be based mostly on numbers.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:04 pm

You're not getting need based aid. But then again almost no one does. Why the hell would you care anyway? Looking for a handout or something? Spend the money you've saved.

GoingForGold

Postby GoingForGold » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:17 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:You're not getting need based aid. But then again almost no one does. Why the hell would you care anyway? Looking for a handout or something? Spend the money you've saved.

Uhh...no. I am about as hardcore libertarian capitalist as you can get.

Reread my question. I prefaced, all aid is a combination of merit/need. I read that to mean, for any given dollar, some percentage of it is awarded based upon need and the rest is based upon merit. So, again, my question was would I automatically be disqualified from any given dollar due to a perceived lack of need. Put another way, the question could be, how much does 'need' contribute to that percentage versus 'merit'?

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:The "need/merit" combo awards seem to be based mostly on numbers.

+1. Numbers rule. They are trying to bribe you to attend.

Return to “Financial Aid”