NeedAccess Situation

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

NeedAccess Situation

Postby whereskyle » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 am

I make $15,000, but I don't plan to work more than some tutoring gigs through school. Offering institution demands parent salary. Single Parent makes $70,000.00 and is going through college herself. Other parent has no assets.

Am I going to see a dime?

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: NeedAccess Situation

Postby eav1277 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:02 am

From my understanding schools outside of HYS don't offer much need based aid if any (besides loans). Or am I mistaken?

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: NeedAccess Situation

Postby whereskyle » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:12 am

The naivete!

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: NeedAccess Situation

Postby eav1277 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:29 am

I was operating under the assumption that need based aid wouldn't be too large. I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong.

Regardless, unlike merit based, you aren't guaranteed the amount each year.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: NeedAccess Situation

Postby JamesDean1955 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:37 am

Technically I think that need based aid can be guaranteed if it is part of a "need/merit combination award". I think you're usually not told how much of these combination awards is need vs. merit and they are guaranteed all three years.

I could be wrong though.

User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: NeedAccess Situation

Postby facile princeps » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Technically I think that need based aid can be guaranteed if it is part of a "need/merit combination award". I think you're usually not told how much of these combination awards is need vs. merit and they are guaranteed all three years.

I could be wrong though.

Doubt they're guaranteed. You must update them on your financial situation each year. They'll take whatever changes (if any) in account when determining how much need based aid you will get for that year.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15524
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NeedAccess Situation

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 pm

facile princeps wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Technically I think that need based aid can be guaranteed if it is part of a "need/merit combination award". I think you're usually not told how much of these combination awards is need vs. merit and they are guaranteed all three years.

I could be wrong though.

Doubt they're guaranteed. You must re-apply each year and update your financial situation. They'll take whatever changes (if any) in account when determining how much need based aid you will get for that year.

At the non-HYS T-14 schools that I dealt with (CLS, NYU, Northwestern) the need/merit combo was guaranteed for all three years.

User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: NeedAccess Situation

Postby facile princeps » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Technically I think that need based aid can be guaranteed if it is part of a "need/merit combination award". I think you're usually not told how much of these combination awards is need vs. merit and they are guaranteed all three years.

I could be wrong though.

Doubt they're guaranteed. You must re-apply each year and update your financial situation. They'll take whatever changes (if any) in account when determining how much need based aid you will get for that year.

At the non-HYS T-14 schools that I dealt with (CLS, NYU, Northwestern) the need/merit combo was guaranteed for all three years.

Ahhh, I assumed they were all like H. I was speaking from that insight. Never mind then, and sorry for the uninformed advice.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests