NeedAccess Situation

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
whereskyle

NeedAccess Situation

Postby whereskyle » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 am

I make $15,000, but I don't plan to work more than some tutoring gigs through school. Offering institution demands parent salary. Single Parent makes $70,000.00 and is going through college herself. Other parent has no assets.

Am I going to see a dime?

eav1277

Re: NeedAccess Situation

Postby eav1277 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:02 am

From my understanding schools outside of HYS don't offer much need based aid if any (besides loans). Or am I mistaken?

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:12 am

The naivete!

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:29 am

I was operating under the assumption that need based aid wouldn't be too large. I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong.

Regardless, unlike merit based, you aren't guaranteed the amount each year.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:37 am

Technically I think that need based aid can be guaranteed if it is part of a "need/merit combination award". I think you're usually not told how much of these combination awards is need vs. merit and they are guaranteed all three years.

I could be wrong though.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Technically I think that need based aid can be guaranteed if it is part of a "need/merit combination award". I think you're usually not told how much of these combination awards is need vs. merit and they are guaranteed all three years.

I could be wrong though.

Doubt they're guaranteed. You must update them on your financial situation each year. They'll take whatever changes (if any) in account when determining how much need based aid you will get for that year.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 pm

facile princeps wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Technically I think that need based aid can be guaranteed if it is part of a "need/merit combination award". I think you're usually not told how much of these combination awards is need vs. merit and they are guaranteed all three years.

I could be wrong though.

Doubt they're guaranteed. You must re-apply each year and update your financial situation. They'll take whatever changes (if any) in account when determining how much need based aid you will get for that year.

At the non-HYS T-14 schools that I dealt with (CLS, NYU, Northwestern) the need/merit combo was guaranteed for all three years.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
facile princeps wrote:

I could be wrong though.

Doubt they're guaranteed. You must re-apply each year and update your financial situation. They'll take whatever changes (if any) in account when determining how much need based aid you will get for that year.

At the non-HYS T-14 schools that I dealt with (CLS, NYU, Northwestern) the need/merit combo was guaranteed for all three years.

Ahhh, I assumed they were all like H. I was speaking from that insight. Never mind then, and sorry for the uninformed advice.

Return to “Financial Aid”