Do I need to apply for Need Access?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
thatgumyoulike

Do I need to apply for Need Access?

Postby thatgumyoulike » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Couldn't find a satisfactory answer using the search function. I'm in my late 20s and have several years of annual income over $40K. Is there a situation in which filling out a need-based access form would make sense for me, or should I save my time and $28? In case anyone asks, I already filled out FAFSA.
Last edited by thatgumyoulike on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Do I need to apply for Need-Based Aid?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 pm

thatgumyoulike wrote:Couldn't find a satisfactory answer using the search function. I'm in my late 20s and have several years of annual income over $40K. Is there a situation in which filling out a need-based access form would make sense for me, or should I save my time and $28? In case anyone asks, I already filled out FAFSA.

Do any of the schools you've applied to require Need Access (I assume that's what "need-based access form" refers to) to get loans and/or be considered for merit scholarships? Do you want to get loans and/or scholarships?

If yes, then fill it out.

thatgumyoulike

Postby thatgumyoulike » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
thatgumyoulike wrote:Couldn't find a satisfactory answer using the search function. I'm in my late 20s and have several years of annual income over $40K. Is there a situation in which filling out a need-based access form would make sense for me, or should I save my time and $28? In case anyone asks, I already filled out FAFSA.

Do any of the schools you've applied to require Need Access (I assume that's what "need-based access form" refers to) to get loans and/or be considered for merit scholarships? Do you want to get loans and/or scholarships?

Thanks for the response. I've seen it called Need Access and need-based aid (assuming those are the same thing), so I guess I just lumped them together there. Some of the schools are on their participating list, but I wasn't sure if it was required.

Are you suggesting that Need Access affects whether or not I receive merit aid at some schools?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 pm

thatgumyoulike wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Thanks for the response. I've seen it called Need Access and need-based aid (assuming those are the same thing), so I guess I just lumped them together there. Some of the schools are on their participating list, but I wasn't sure if it was required.

Are you suggesting that Need Access affects whether or not I receive merit aid at some schools?
Need Access is the form that gives the schools a more complete idea of your financial picture than FAFSA. Need-based aid is, well, aid based on need. One is a form. The other is money. Two different things.

Some schools (e.g. Northwestern) require NeedAccess as part of their financial aid process, and won't give ANY TYPE OF AID AT ALL, be it loans or scholarships, without it.

Read each school's instructions. Follow them.

Return to “Financial Aid”