Am I making a financial mistake?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Teflon_Don

Am I making a financial mistake?

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Do all the T14 consider parents' information when deciding about need-based aid? If I didn't get any in undergrad is it worth applying? Basically I wanted to waive my need-based consideration and not fill out the Need Access form so that I could speed up the merit scholarship process. My parents are giving me a hard time about giving info to Need Access, so I was just going to not fill it out to speed up everything. Am I making a mistake?

Re: Am I making a financial mistake?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Do all the T14 consider parents' information when deciding about need-based aid? If I didn't get any in undergrad is it worth applying? Basically I wanted to waive my need-based consideration and not fill out the Need Access form so that I could speed up the merit scholarship process. My parents are giving me a hard time about giving info to Need Access, so I was just going to not fill it out to speed up everything. Am I making a mistake?

Northwestern doesn't use it. But just do it.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Check with your school. Not filling it out may have the opposite effect.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:Do all the T14 consider parents' information when deciding about need-based aid? If I didn't get any in undergrad is it worth applying? Basically I wanted to waive my need-based consideration and not fill out the Need Access form so that I could speed up the merit scholarship process. My parents are giving me a hard time about giving info to Need Access, so I was just going to not fill it out to speed up everything. Am I making a mistake?

Northwestern doesn't use it. But just do it.

Do Need Access? Is it worth doing if I don't fill out my parents info? Do schools weigh parents info differently? Particularly the top 10

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

I doubt I'll get need based aid, I want to get merit decisions ASAP so I'd rather not fill out Need Access since my parents are being lame about it. What do you think?

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 am

Teflon_Don wrote:I doubt I'll get need based aid, I want to get merit decisions ASAP so I'd rather not fill out Need Access since my parents are being lame about it. What do you think?

If your school requires Need Access, you need to fill out out, including your parents information. You can try talking to the school, but I doubt they will change their policy because your parents are being "lame" about it.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 am

Some schools won't consider you for either need or merit unless you fill it out.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Some LS say they don't use parents financial info but some of them do so indirectly when they asked information about the Pell Grant.

Pumpkin_Pie

Postby Pumpkin_Pie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:53 pm

cinephile wrote:Some schools won't consider you for either need or merit unless you fill it out.

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Michigan doesn't require information from parents. Even if its filled out on the form for other schools, they say they disregard it.

Cornell and UCLA both require it.

Return to “Financial Aid”