FAFSA/NeedAccess questions

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
testaker

FAFSA/NeedAccess questions

Postby testaker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Does anyone know whether parents can fill out their income/tax info on FAFSA separately from the student (so student does not see their sensitive financial information)? I know this is an option with NeedAccess, but it doesn't seem like it with FAFSA so far...any insight would be appreciated!

Also, please excuse my ignorance, but if you are filling out FAFSA and/or NeedAccess for schools with different requirements (demand parents' info vs. don't), how do you submit different versions of your application? Basically, how do you ensure that a school that doesn't require parental info doesn't see your parents' info that you had to enter for another school? Thank you!

cgw

Re: FAFSA/NeedAccess questions

Postby cgw » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:02 pm

testaker wrote:Does anyone know whether parents can fill out their income/tax info on FAFSA separately from the student (so student does not see their sensitive financial information)? I know this is an option with NeedAccess, but it doesn't seem like it with FAFSA so far...any insight would be appreciated!

Also, please excuse my ignorance, but if you are filling out FAFSA and/or NeedAccess for schools with different requirements (demand parents' info vs. don't), how do you submit different versions of your application? Basically, how do you ensure that a school that doesn't require parental info doesn't see your parents' info that you had to enter for another school? Thank you!

Send the Need Access without parents' info to the schools that don't require it. Then go back and add schools that do require parent info, fill in the added requirements, and send to them.

As far as I know there's no option like that on FAFSA. I declined to give my parents info on there since the schools that require it will get it from the Need Access application. FAFSA is really only for loans and my parent's income will not effect my loan "award."

Return to “Financial Aid”