Negotiating the terms of a scholarship

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mmacmu1

Negotiating the terms of a scholarship

Postby mmacmu1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi,

I originally posted in this topic but I think my reply got buried when someone replied to the old conversation.

I received a full merit-based scholarship at a T2 with the caveat that I stay in the top 25% of my class. The scholarship is called the "Dean's Scholarship," so I'm thinking the terms may be dictated in stone in a handbook somewhere (though I can't find anything).

Do you think it is possible that I could ask to be top 50% or no strings at all? It just seems like a lot of unnecessary stress. Although I hope/expect to be in the top of my class, I don't want to have that financial anvil hanging over my head.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to ask, and I'm not worried about how to frame the negotiations (though suggestions are certainly welcome). I'm more interested to hear anyone's opinion on the likelihood of getting it reduced or if anyone has any experience here.

Thanks in advance.

Pumpkin_Pie

Re: Negotiating the terms of a scholarship

Postby Pumpkin_Pie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 pm

It doesn't hurt to ask but I've never heard of this happening. I tried to do this but was unsuccessful. It didn't seem to hurt my reputation at the school though, they answered very nicely and apologized for any confusion.

mmacmu1

Postby mmacmu1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks for sharing... I didn't even really consider that it might affect my reputation, though I doubt it would. It is a little awkward to request this. I plan to explain that I want to have a part-time job while in school.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

mmacmu1 wrote:Thanks for sharing... I didn't even really consider that it might affect my reputation, though I doubt it would. It is a little awkward to request this. I plan to explain that I want to have a part-time job while in school.

Many schools have a policy forbidding full-time students from working at all during their 1L year, so keep that in mind for any conversations you have.

Of course you can try to negotiate the terms - there are lots and lots of threads on this forum devoted to doing so.

mmacmu1

Postby mmacmu1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
mmacmu1 wrote:Thanks for sharing... I didn't even really consider that it might affect my reputation, though I doubt it would. It is a little awkward to request this. I plan to explain that I want to have a part-time job while in school.

Many schools have a policy forbidding full-time students from working at all during their 1L year, so keep that in mind for any conversations you have.

Of course you can try to negotiate the terms - there are lots and lots of threads on this forum devoted to doing so.

Thanks for the advice. I was not aware that law schools did that! Something to definitely keep in mind.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Some schools do waive stipulations. Do you have a comparable offer at a better school? You need something to negotiate with. Also, you may find the negotiating tactics will work better closer to deposit time. But try now. And try again in April. Do not deposit or you waive your negotiating power.

Return to “Financial Aid”