Grant money for Columbia / Off the books job

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kontheshore16

Grant money for Columbia / Off the books job

Postby kontheshore16 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm

So, for the last two years my primary source of income has been from several predominantly cash only business, one of which I started. I was planning on applying for financial aid/grant money for Columbia. I was living at home, and never really made enough money to move out of my parents house. However, I don't have all of the paperwork that goes with starting a business (it's basically just me doing private tutoring). In addition, I didn't really ever end up doing my taxes, as I dealt exclusively with cash. I'm worried that if I apply finaid/grant money it could cause legal problems. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has worked off the books. What did you do?

And a more specific question for Columbia, I've read that if you don't get any indication of merit based grant money when you receive your acceptance you are unlikely to get any. Is this true?

Thanks so much!
Tom

Cellar-door

Re: Grant money for Columbia / Off the books job

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 pm

kontheshore16 wrote:So, for the last two years my primary source of income has been from several predominantly cash only business, one of which I started. I was planning on applying for financial aid/grant money for Columbia. I was living at home, and never really made enough money to move out of my parents house. However, I don't have all of the paperwork that goes with starting a business (it's basically just me doing private tutoring). In addition, I didn't really ever end up doing my taxes, as I dealt exclusively with cash. I'm worried that if I apply finaid/grant money it could cause legal problems. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has worked off the books. What did you do?

And a more specific question for Columbia, I've read that if you don't get any indication of merit based grant money when you receive your acceptance you are unlikely to get any. Is this true?

Thanks so much!
Tom

File your taxes, use the schedule C EZ., go back and amend your previous years. The businesses don't need to be incorporated for that.
Then fill out a FAFSA/Need access.
If you are making more than $400 a year from self-employment you should be filing taxes anyway, technically you are committing a crime, it would be a shame for you to go to Columbia then not pass C&F over not filing taxes.

Return to “Financial Aid”