. Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tigyrgrl

New

Post by tigyrgrl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Last edited by tigyrgrl on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

CFprez

New

Re: Anyone familiar with the Survivors/Dependents Assistance?

Post by CFprez » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:45 pm

I worked as a paralegal at a disability law firm. I had a come clients who were actually trying to get both benefits. If your husband qualifies for Disability Insurance Benefits (basically a step above SSI) through social security he can get VA benefits and social security disability. Have you tried looking into that? Whether he qualifies for Disability Insurance Benefits depends on his age and the amount of work/taxes he has done (usually full time 5 out of last 10 years).

This is not real legit legal advice just a tip to check out some disability sites

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resour ... disability

rmp

New

Re: Anyone familiar with the Survivors/Dependents Assistance?

Post by rmp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:48 pm

It also depends on the state you're coming from. I'm from California and use the Cal-Vet College Fee Waiver. My father has a 60% disability rating and it waives my tuition at any public educational institution (comm. college, CSU, UC). It varies by state, but it's a fairly simple process. Get the forms from your local county veteran's affairs office or find it online via google or any generic search engine. Not sure if you can use them concurrently with the GI Bill since I don't qualify for the GI. Cal-Vet doesn't offer a housing stipend though, which I believe is an advantage the GI Bill has over it.

Return to “Financial Aid”