I deferred. Am I f**ked?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
machina

I deferred. Am I f**ked?

Postby machina » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Last cycle, I deferred my acceptance to a T14 to this fall (matriculating Fall 2013). They offered me little aid last year and now I've applied again for this fall. This time around, I can't tell them about the other offers I'm getting...because I promised to not apply or defer elsewhere (and I didn't). So my options are (1) go to this school or (2) don't go to law school (at least this year). I'm frankly undecided about whether I will go or just continue working, so if they don't offer anything, I just might not go. I don't know if telling them that is a huge moral issue given that I deferred.

Is there any way for me to maximize what my offer will be, having deferred my acceptance to this coming fall?

Thank you in advance...I feel totally screwed!

BelugaWhale

Re: I deferred. Am I fucked?

Postby BelugaWhale » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:56 pm

I dont understand your question at all.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:13 pm

machina wrote:So my options are (1) go to this school or (2) don't go to law school (at least this year).

I think option 2 might actually be don't go to law school ever if you've already accepted with this school. Check the language in whatever contract you signed to defer.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:43 pm

You should get the same financial award that you did last semester. There is nothing you can do short of writing them and asking them to let you out of your agreement. Do not apply behind their back, LSAC notifies schools of applications and commitment deadlines.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:48 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
machina wrote:So my options are (1) go to this school or (2) don't go to law school (at least this year).

I think option 2 might actually be don't go to law school ever if you've already accepted with this school. Check the language in whatever contract you signed to defer.

No, it is just for that cycle. Though, that specific T14 will not accept him ever again I would assume

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:05 pm

It seems like if you tell them that you have a job that you love and aren't willing to leave unless the cost of attending law school is lower, that will be the same as negotiating with other offers. If they need your numbers and you let them know you are on the fence, they will probably offer some money to get you to matriculate.

machina

Postby machina » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:57 pm

hurldes wrote:It seems like if you tell them that you have a job that you love and aren't willing to leave unless the cost of attending law school is lower, that will be the same as negotiating with other offers. If they need your numbers and you let them know you are on the fence, they will probably offer some money to get you to matriculate.

Any seconds on this encouragement?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:03 am

machina wrote:
hurldes wrote:It seems like if you tell them that you have a job that you love and aren't willing to leave unless the cost of attending law school is lower, that will be the same as negotiating with other offers. If they need your numbers and you let them know you are on the fence, they will probably offer some money to get you to matriculate.

I would do this, and also indicate that you could forfeit your deferred position, work for a year more, and then apply to a wide range of places to start in 2014.

I think attending a T14 without significant aid is a pretty risky proposition. And since your numbers got you in, they already gave you some aid, applications are down, and you have a legitimate argument that you could continue working/wait another year, I think you will be able to get more money out.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:14 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

No, it is just for that cycle. Though, that specific T14 will not accept him ever again I would assume

Actually, there are some schools that will offer to extend your deferment and if they do this you basically are stuck with that one school. OP check to see what the deferment language says exactly. There are times when it can be for more than the single cycle.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:46 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 am

All depends on the deferral agreement. I don't get how people sign these things then either blatantly disregard them or completely forget the stipulations.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:23 am

kappycaft1 wrote:If they offer a further deferment, can't you just say "no thank you I'm not interested" and turn them down? If you're only bound to them for one year, I don't think that they can keep binding you year after year if you express a clear disinterest...

That's jus it, not all agreements specify a time frame and therefore a school can simply say it's them or no one. It's why you shouldn't defer unless you actually plan on attending the school since these are binding contracts.

machina

Postby machina » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Icculus wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:If they offer a further deferment, can't you just say "no thank you I'm not interested" and turn them down? If you're only bound to them for one year, I don't think that they can keep binding you year after year if you express a clear disinterest...

That's jus it, not all agreements specify a time frame and therefore a school can simply say it's them or no one. It's why you shouldn't defer unless you actually plan on attending the school since these are binding contracts.

For the record, I do plan to attend (for the most part...). I just need to figure out how to work out the financials.

I don't think that not going to this school this year would bar me from going to any law school in the future. I'm pretty sure only this school would disallow me from attending if I break this commitment.

Thanks all for the discussions thus far...

machina

Postby machina » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
machina wrote:

I would do this, and also indicate that you could forfeit your deferred position, work for a year more, and then apply to a wide range of places to start in 2014.

I think attending a T14 without significant aid is a pretty risky proposition. And since your numbers got you in, they already gave you some aid, applications are down, and you have a legitimate argument that you could continue working/wait another year, I think you will be able to get more money out.

That's a good point; thank you. I think I would imply the possibility of forfeiting my deferred position, unless that's a huge faux pas that would reflect terribly on me. Thoughts?

Return to “Financial Aid”