Negotiating with Fordham?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
a-quad

Negotiating with Fordham?

Postby a-quad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:55 pm

I got $90,000 from Fordham, and I know Fordham notoriously doesn't give higher than that, but is there any chance of negotiating? I got full to Cardozo, $93,000 to UT, $120,000 to GW, and $18,000 to Michigan- and if Fordham matched GW I'd go to Fordham (probably even if I got Columbia or NYU).

Thoughts?

turn left

Re: Negotiating with Fordham?

Postby turn left » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Last edited by turn left on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Are you from Texas or do you want to stay there?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:13 pm

a-quad wrote:I got $90,000 from Fordham, and I know Fordham notoriously doesn't give higher than that, but is there any chance of negotiating? I got full to Cardozo, $93,000 to UT, $120,000 to GW, and $18,000 to Michigan- and if Fordham matched GW I'd go to Fordham (probably even if I got Columbia or NYU).

Thoughts?

Fordham caps schollies at $30k/per year. They'd rather give less to more people, than more to a handful.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 am

dingbat wrote:
a-quad wrote:I got $90,000 from Fordham, and I know Fordham notoriously doesn't give higher than that, but is there any chance of negotiating? I got full to Cardozo, $93,000 to UT, $120,000 to GW, and $18,000 to Michigan- and if Fordham matched GW I'd go to Fordham (probably even if I got Columbia or NYU).

Thoughts?

Fordham caps schollies at $30k/per year. They'd rather give less to more people, than more to a handful.

Fordham does give a couple of higher scholarships to people who top their sections 1L year I believe, but yeah your not going to get much more than that before enrolling. I think they do give 1-2 full scholarships a year too but if you didn't get one outright that's probably it. If you can get a decent job you might want to consider going evening though as that would probably eliminate your debt.

I found that GW does not place as well in NYC it seems but if you don't mind possibly working in Charlotte etc, your prospects are similar with Fordham. In retrospect I do agree with you that a high scholarship from Fordham is probably at least as good as T14 at sticker, but that's partly because I was successful in my job search. If you end up not getting a summer associate position you might always wonder what if. I went evening because I couldn't afford to go day with family etc, but you have to make that choice for yourself. Fordham does negotiate though, I'm just not sure that you have any leeway to go higher.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:59 am

Right on both - they give 2 full schollys per year, but these are very targeted and can't be negotiated into. Awards given to top 1Ls do exist, but don't ever bet on being top of thè class

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:59 am

turn left wrote:Go to Michigan.

Actually I had very similar options to OP when I applied for 2010 (yeah bad year), and it turned out that I likely would have been out a boatload of money with potentially worse employment prospects out of Michigan so its not quite T14 or bust. If you don't have anything but academics going for you though I would agree with the Michigan choice (especially if you are unattached to any locations etc).

Return to “Financial Aid”