Negotiation Timeline

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
szb5058

Negotiation Timeline

Postby szb5058 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 pm

So when is the best time to try and negotiate with schools? I don't want to get too specific because I feel like a lot of people have this question. Everyone has recycled the famous TLS link viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373 which, if you haven't read, is a great resource. However, this article doesn't detail the appropriate timing of your negotiating efforts.

Here's the issue:
On one hand, it is ideal to receive your acceptances and scholarship offers from all of your schools before negotiating so you have as much leverage to use as possible.

On the other hand, you don't want to wait too long in the cycle where the money has already been handed out to other applicants.

So where's the middle ground? What is the best approach to take?

sportsaholic763

Re: Negotiation Timeline

Postby sportsaholic763 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 pm

In the same situation, with the same questions. Especially since, of two similarly ranked schools, one offered me a substantial scholly, while the other recently accepted me, without scholarship info yet. When to use the former in negotiations with the latter is significant.

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 pm

sportsaholic763 wrote:In the same situation, with the same questions. Especially since, of two similarly ranked schools, one offered me a substantial scholly, while the other recently accepted me, without scholarship info yet. When to use the former in negotiations with the latter is significant.

Circlewave

Postby Circlewave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:20 pm

i wouldn't even try to negotiate without having all your offers in

Return to “Financial Aid”