Option to Disclose Student Assets on FAFSA

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Mr. Elshal

Option to Disclose Student Assets on FAFSA

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to find a good answer to this question but if the thread exists, please point me there.

I'm filling out my FAFSA and it gives me the option to either answer or skip questions about my own assets. I've been working through college and have saved enough money that I do not want to answer those questions.

I know that it's not a problem to skip those questions, from the FAFSA standpoint (otherwise they wouldn't give the option), but does anybody know if schools require me to put this information on the FAFSA form? I would rather not put it but I'd also rather not piss off any schools.

Thanks!

WhiteyCakes

Re: Option to Disclose Student Assets on FAFSA

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:29 pm

I've talked to some financial aid people about different aspects of this question. Most of them say that they're going to look at what they look at, and they don't even review extra info (for example parent data when they don't require it). My guess is that you should be honest and disclose since it likely won't affect the availability of fed loan access.

Just like C&F, when in doubt, disclose.

Mr. Elshal

Re: Option to Disclose Student Assets on FAFSA

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:50 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:I've talked to some financial aid people about different aspects of this question. Most of them say that they're going to look at what they look at, and they don't even review extra info (for example parent data when they don't require it). My guess is that you should be honest and disclose since it likely won't affect the availability of fed loan access.

Just like C&F, when in doubt, disclose.

Thanks, I guess I'll do that.

Return to “Financial Aid”