Negotiating Scholarships Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kaf5250

Bronze

Negotiating Scholarships

Post by kaf5250 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:56 pm

I was wondering when the best time would be to start negotiating scholarships, should I start now since it is early or wait until I have all of my offers so I have more bargaining chips. Also can anyone who has done this successfully in the past or just knows what to do maybe PM me what they said in their initial emails (from schools where no aid has been given yet, for schools where you got an initial offer you would like to increase, and to schools who may have already increased/answered you but you would like to further negotiate with). Since I don't have a clear first choice school i think my plan of attack is to negotiate with every school until they say no and then when I know the ceiling making my decision. Any advice at all is appreciated!

szb5058

New

Re: Negotiating Scholarships

Post by szb5058 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:50 pm

I have the exact same question as you. If anyone PMs you with anything good, pass on the info! It would be very much appreciated

sjwright77

New

Re: Negotiating Scholarships

Post by sjwright77 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:32 pm

I was accepted at UCLA via phone call in early January. I was also notified at the same time that I received a $90k scholarship to UCLA. After receiving $120k from USC, $75k from Michigan, and a full-tuition to a lower top 50 program, I contacted UCLA asking for an increase in scholarship. I hadn't negotiated before so I was just honest, and I tried to not sound entitled, and I got great results. Within a week I was awarded an additional $15k guaranteed merit-based scholarship ($5k per year) and an additional guaranteed $8000 need-based scholarship with the possibility of another $8000 per year as long as I qualify financially.

It was definitely worth my time!!

Here is a link to great advice on negotiating merit aid:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

Return to “Financial Aid”