Borrowing less than refund amount given

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Blue Ivy

Borrowing less than refund amount given

Postby Blue Ivy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Hello,

I am trying to reduce the amount of financial aid that was refunded to me. I ended up not needing the full amount the school provided after they deducted my tuition. However, my financial aid office told me that reducing the refund amount this year could affect my borrowing next year? The reason I ended up not needing as much aid was because I had some help with my living expensens. But I am not guaranteed to have that help next year. Would it be better to just take the full amount they gave me so it doesn't affect my financial aid for next year? Or is the information I got from the financial aid office off-target? Thanks in advance.

cinephile

Re: Borrowing less than refund amount given

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Blue Ivy wrote:Hello,

I am trying to reduce the amount of financial aid that was refunded to me. I ended up not needing the full amount the school provided after they deducted my tuition. However, my financial aid office told me that reducing the refund amount this year could affect my borrowing next year? The reason I ended up not needing as much aid was because I had some help with my living expensens. But I am not guaranteed to have that help next year. Would it be better to just take the full amount they gave me so it doesn't affect my financial aid for next year? Or is the information I got from the financial aid office off-target? Thanks in advance.

You might need it for the summer anyway. I'd hold on to it.

Return to “Financial Aid”