Negotiating with Penn using Michigan scholarship?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
francesfarmer

Negotiating with Penn using Michigan scholarship?

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:56 pm

I've heard Penn called stingy--does anyone have experience negotiating with them for $ using Michigan $? Michigan gave me $10k a year. Thanks.

Nelson

Re: Negotiating with Penn using Michigan scholarship?

Postby Nelson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Beyond TLS conventional wisdom (which I think agrees with my experience), I know from a couple of anecdotes last year that Penn was unwilling to match offers from schools that weren't CCN. Penn's non-named scholarship awards tend to be smaller than UVA's and Michigan's. I think this perception may be partly a factor of Penn's smaller class size though, there are fewer people on TLS/LSN with awards. I didn't have a Michigan offer, but Penn did match a decent chunk of an offer I had from another T14. 10k isn't very much of an offer but it never hurts to try.

bizzybone1313

Re: Negotiating with Penn using Michigan scholarship?

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Nelson wrote:Beyond TLS conventional wisdom (which I think agrees with my experience), I know from a couple of anecdotes last year that Penn was unwilling to match offers from schools that weren't CCN. Penn's non-named scholarship awards tend to be smaller than UVA's and Michigan's. I think this perception may be partly a factor of Penn's smaller class size though, there are fewer people on TLS/LSN with awards. I didn't have a Michigan offer, but Penn did match a decent chunk of an offer I had from another T14. 10k isn't very much of an offer but it never hurts to try.

$10K per year!!!! $30K!!!!. That is a lot of money. $30K + interest.

Return to “Financial Aid”