Penn Negotiation

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Teflon_Don

Penn Negotiation

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm

I just got into Penn and I'm really excited! I was reading the Admitted Students Site and saw that they welcome scholarship offers from peer schools. I haven't received any scholarship offer yet from Penn (obviously), so do you think I should wait for the initial offer from them, and THEN send in my UVA 105k offer, or send in my UVA offer ASAP? Thanks for the help.

curious66

Re: Penn Negotiation

Postby curious66 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:I just got into Penn and I'm really excited! I was reading the Admitted Students Site and saw that they welcome scholarship offers from peer schools. I haven't received any scholarship offer yet from Penn (obviously), so do you think I should wait for the initial offer from them, and THEN send in my UVA 105k offer, or send in my UVA offer ASAP? Thanks for the help.

I would wait, I am in a similar boat with T14 other schools. How do you know they won't exceed the $105 ?

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 pm

curious66 wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:I just got into Penn and I'm really excited! I was reading the Admitted Students Site and saw that they welcome scholarship offers from peer schools. I haven't received any scholarship offer yet from Penn (obviously), so do you think I should wait for the initial offer from them, and THEN send in my UVA 105k offer, or send in my UVA offer ASAP? Thanks for the help.

I would wait, I am in a similar boat with T14 other schools. How do you know they won't exceed the $105 ?

Exactly what I was thinking! Just didn't know if they'd make a new offer after their initial one

jychun412

Postby jychun412 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm in a similar situation.
I just know that no peer school of Penn will offer me more money than UVA did.
Wouldn't it be better if I send Penn my UVA offer now before they make initial offers and negotiate later too?

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:22 pm

jychun412 wrote:I'm in a similar situation.
I just know that no peer school of Penn will offer me more money than UVA did.
Wouldn't it be better if I send Penn my UVA offer now before they make initial offers and negotiate later too?

See it's a hard choice right! In my situation, I doubt they'll give me the UVA scholly money initially, so I wanted to basically expedite the process by sending them my UVA scholarship. But at the same time, what if they initially planned to offer 10k more (unlikely) and instead just matched the UVA scholarship.. It's tricky

drh_104

Postby drh_104 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 am

does anyone know when scholarships are coming out? i wish that the admitted students website was personalized, rather than just general.

Postby 02889 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 pm

Last year, scholarship info came out in late March through mid-April. I'm in the same situation with scholarships from UVA and Michigan that, though significantly less than 105k, are still big enough that I'd be crazy to take Penn at sticker over them, which makes me very anxious to negotiate with Penn given how much I prefer it.

I hope someone who negotiated with Penn last year can weigh in!

Return to “Financial Aid”